Dun Dun Oniyeri (Yamarita)

April 8, 2013 | 22 Comments

yamarita, dun dun oniyeri

Dun Dun Oniyeri is the Yoruba term for yam that has been sliced and cut length-wise into thick strips and further coated in an egg wash, before being fried. Yam that has been cut into strips and fried without the egg wash is simply Dun Dun. The yam is soft, yet firm enough to hold shape and has the taste and texture of slightly crispy fried potato wedges or thick cut chips. Yamarita/dun dun oniyeri is often served with a dipping sauce.

Yamarita on the other hand, is another term for Dun Dun Oniyeri. A reader requested Yamarita a while back and I had no clue what it was, so I asked a friend in Lagos and she said it was yam cut, coated in egg and fried. Now, to me that sounds very much like dun dun, so I asked yet another person and got the same response. I’d never heard of the term Yamarita while in Nigeria, until the request, so it was completely new to me. If someone knows of a deeper explanation of the origins and any differences, please share in the comments.

That said, Dun Dun Oniyeri or Yamarita is simply a spin on your traditional yam and egg dish. Instead of having them separately, why not have them in a slightly thicker chip/fry form and roll it all into one! It’s really easy to make and while yam is not something I eat on a regular basis, it provided a good switch up for a change. There are various ways to cook this, so be sure to read the notes section, if you’d like to try it a different way, this is just the basic recipe.

Requested Recipes are a series of posts geared towards recipes YOU’ve requested! Thanks to Brad for the request! If you’d like a particular recipe featured, let me know!

On to the recipe!

To make this, you’ll need the following:

Recipe Cost: $10.24 Prep: 30 mins Cook: 30-45 mins Difficulty: Beginner Serves: 1-2yamarita ingredients

For Geisha Stew:

1. Cut yam into round slicesyam slices

2. Peel skin off yam

3. Start cutting yam slices into thick strips length-wise

3b. Keep cutting until you have all strips of yamyamarita.yam strips

4. Rinse yam strips under cold running water, to rid of dirt and starch, till water runs relatively clear, drain wateryamarita.yam chips rinse

5. Add yam to pot with clean water, enough to cover yam. Add 1/2 tsp salt

5b. Let yam boil over medium heat for 15 minutes till soft, yet firm enough to hold shape without breaking apart

6. Drain water, transfer boiled yam to dry bowl

7. Set yam aside to cool slightly, prepare egg wash, pre-heat oil in pan over medium heat

8. Break egg into bowl, add ground red pepper and salt

8b. Whisk egg

9. Add flour into a clean bowl along with a pinch of salt and pepper. Take one strip at a time, roll yam in flour

10. Dip flour coated yam into egg wash

11. Repeat steps #9 – #10 till all yam strips are fully coated

12. Begin frying coated yam strips over medium heat

12b. Fry for about 2-3 minutes per side, till golden brown

13. Once fried, transfer to a plate lined with a paper towel or napkin to absorb excess oil, sprinkle salt over it and shake up before serving

14. All done!dun dun oniyeri, yamarita

To make the geisha stew (My first recipe ever was this, but below are more photos to go with it)

1. Chop onions and saute in pan with vegetable oil

2. Add geisha from can into pan with onions

3. Use spoon to mash mackarel, add ground red pepper, let cook over low-medium heat for about 5 minutes

4. Add leftover stew if you have any and stir in. If not, you’re done!

1. It’s important to partially pre-cook the yam because the yam won’t be soft enough if it’s just fried immediately. It’ll cook, but it won’t be cooked enough to be palatable.
  2. Rolling the yam in flour serves to provide absorbency and crispness, depending on what method you’re using. For this basic method, the flour serves to absorb the oil to give that crisp coating. Another purpose is serves is to absorb any extra wetness/liquid from draining the yam after boiling, before frying. The flour also helps the yam brown better when frying.
  3. This needs to be served immediately after frying and sprinkling some salt over it, otherwise it will lose it’s crispness and become limp.
  4. You can twice fry dun dun oniyeri for maxium crispness. After frying once, remove from oil, drain excess oil on paper towel, increase heat to high and return yam into oil to fry for another 2-3 minutes per side.
  5. You can bake these if you prefer. However, you don’t need to use the egg and flour. Instead, you’d use an oil and seasoning mix, gently coat the yam strips in the oil mix, put on a baking tray lined with foil and bake for 20-30 minutes at 400 degrees. Seasonings can be crushed knorr cubes and crushed red pepper, for added texture.
  6. For the dipping sauce, you can use geisha stew, like I did, or corned beef stew, perhaps even regular stew.

Substitutes:

1. You can use corn oil for added crispness.
  2. Don’t care for yam? Try regular or sweet potatoes

With geisha stewgeisha stew, mackarel sauce

—————————————————————————————————————————————————–

Disclaimer:

The Recipe Cost of $10.24 is approximate for me in US dollars, but should be used an estimate only. Please keep price fluctuations & exchange rates in mind. If you’re based in the US, the grocery store(s) you frequent might have the same items cheaper or more expensive than what I purchased.

If you’re international, please keep in mind that exchange rates vary constantly. I recommend using this site to convert it from US dollars to your local currency. You might also have some of the ingredients at home already, thereby reducing the cost.

If you’d prefer to see an individual ingredient cost breakdown, let me know!

—————————————————————————————————————————————————–

Rating: 7.4/10 (7 votes cast)
Dun Dun Oniyeri (Yamarita), 7.4 out of 10 based on 7 ratings

22 Responses to "Dun Dun Oniyeri (Yamarita)"

1. Ayodeji. O says:

STOP THE PRESS *wink*

new post….* does the harlem shake*

Glad to have another post from you (it’s always a pleasure). On to the post, first of all – like yourself till now, I never knew what Yamarita was (you learn something new everyday, eh).

Bit of a stupid and not-so-random question though (there’s always got to be that one person with them – today, that’s me); is there any distinct difference in taste between dun dun and the oniyeri variation? Does the addition of the egg + flour make that significant a difference (or elevate the taste of yamarita). Only wondering.
    Whenever I eat yam – I either just boil it or bake/roast it in the oven; not sure when I will be trying this though but I will keep you updated.

For a bit of variety, I sometimes roast some root vegetables in the oven (last batch was a mix of sweet potatoes, parsnips) and shallots; it’s something different to whatever I eat on a regular basis. I do a similar thing with plantains as well.

Have a nice week Yetunde…looking forward to some more (cup)cakes ;)

Deji

Lol! Heeey now, *does harlem shake right back* I’ve got two left feet, but I can bust a mean two step!

Oh no, no question is ever stupid, we’re all learning, so feel free to ask :) You know, think of it like this, compare regular plain ‘ol french fries/chips to roasted potato wedges (KFC has these). The wedges (dun dun oniyeri in our case) have a thin outer layer (oft times crispy crust) and a bit of an extra bite and the french fries/chips (dun dun) are a straight bite through without the crust/outer layer. If you eat it and look for the differences, you’ll detect those, otherwise, they’ll seem the same, so subtle, but it’s there.

Oh, I love sweet potato anything. Had mashed sweet potatoes at Boston Market here sometime ago and it was so sugary sweet. I was so mad, I kept telling a friend, ‘they didn’t need to add all this brown sugar, sweet potatoes are naturally, subtly sweet!’ A mess…

Plantains, yes, my second love. Growing up, my mum always wondered how I didn’t yet have plantains growing on my head, lol

Yup, keep haunting me with those cupcakes, they’re coming, been a minute, they’re somewhere in the pipeline ;)

Always a pleasure to banter back and forth with you (and everyone else)!

• Ayodeji. O says:

That’s one of my pet peeves and possibly a reason I can’t stand commercialised chinese food. SUGAR! I don’t understand why people add sugar to savoury food – I don’t see the need for it and to me doesn’t elevate the food to another level in any way. Save it for the desserts please.

(and that includes people who boil yam with salt and sugar – new yam too; LOL). How random.

Oh and plantains; I totally love them and how I can use them in whatever state/colour they are in (green, yellow or black).

The sugar/added unwanted ingredient has got to be another reason why I enjoy cooking myself as I’m in control of everything that goes into my mouth – no funny business (sugar or colouring and co) and freshly prepared food is always a bonus.

Seasonings in Western society are relegated to three categories: cheese, sugar and salt. The American diet is even called ‘Standard American Diet- S.A.D.’ Such an irony! ‘Plantains: my first love.’ I can actually see that as the working title for a book, lol…

Yes indeed, glad we’re on the same page with that, I love it!

2. Adhis says:

I am fascinated by the idea that one meal has two different names. I have had zero experience with yams since we don’t have it much of our cuisine in E. Africa BUT this looks like an easy way to transition into trying it out. Next question is “how do you know to pick the “right” yam?” i.e. what do you look out for?

Interesting, isn’t it?! Oh goodness, such a loaded question, I might need to make that into a post. Quick tips though: press it to make sure that the body is not soft, if it’s soft, it means it’s gone bad on the inside, just like with potatoes. Also, yams with the ‘whiskers/hairs’ or roots in essence, at one end are usually the best to pick. In Yoruba, those roots are called ‘efuru.’ You could also try piercing it with a small, sharp object and if the exposed yam doesn’t show immediate signs of discoloration, you’re good to go!

3. Adhis says:

Thank you!

4. sunflowery says:

Yamarita is a fairly stupid ‘brand’ name given to this dish by a fast food restaurant in Naija – I forget which one exactly but almost certain it was Sweet Sensation. Same dish, they were trying to jazz it up a bit – I personally find that name silly, but it is deeeelish!

Hey!

Ahh, the puzzle is solved. Thanks for the clarification!

5. zizi says:

Yamarita is by Tastee Fried Chicken(TFC) not Sweet Sensation. It was a hit with the sauce and fish to go. Since I now live in Accra, I am glad to have the recipe to enjoy with my family. Keep up the good work, Yetunde.

Hey Zizi!

Ahh, even more clarification! Thanks, will do :)

6. judith says:

Wow I have never heard of dun dun before how much more yamarita. will definately try this out. I just learned something today

Hey Judith!

Yup, you learn something new everyday! Hope you try and like it!

7. ogechi. says:

Neva heard abt dis buuut,I’ll definitely try it.Tanx yetty.

Hey Ogechi!

Thanks, give it a try, let me know if you like it!

8. Nk says:

You stated; “You can bake these if you prefer. However, you don’t need to use the egg and flour. Instead, you’d use an oil and seasoning mix, gently coat the yam strips in the oil mix, put on a baking tray lined with foil and bake for 20-30 minutes at 400 degrees. Seasonings can be crushed knorr cubes and crushed red pepper, for added texture”
    I try to avoid fried foods for health reasons. Can you please give me a detailed explanation on how to do the baked version of this dish Also, why do you not recommend egg wash for the baked version.

Hey Nk!

I didn’t recommend an egg wash for the baked version simply because I don’t think it’s necessary. However, if it’s something you’d prefer to do, there’s no harm in trying it. So, either the oil and seasoning mix or the egg wash or try both and see which you prefer.

• Nk says:

Thanks for the for the quick response :-) Please can you please tell me exactly the seasonings to add in the oil and seasoning mix. Also, do you think that without the egg wash, it will still taste the same. I have tried this delicious snack one time years ago in Badagry, Lagos and i was excited when I saw this recipe. I still remember how it tastes and I cannot wait to make it for my family. Thanks for all you do.

You’re welcome :) You can use finely crushed knorr cubes and dry or crushed red pepper. The egg might add some flavor to it, but nothing overwhelming, so it will taste slightly different without the egg wash.

9. Wizzy says:

Although we cook a lot of yam here I have never come across a version fried with an egg wash like this. Looks delicious!

Try it, it’s tasty!