Fitness & Nutrition, Vol., #006: Kale Health Benefits

January 7, 2013 | 24 Comments

Kale health benefits

I’ve jumped on the Kale bandwagon! I plan to use it in place of Spinach in vegetable soups. Not sure if you can find it in Nigeria or what it will be called if you do find it, but take a look at the photo in the above image and have it in mind the next time you to the market.

If you can’t find Kale, any good ol’ leafy green vegetable will work in your diet, still better than nothing!

Source

Rating: 7.5/10 (6 votes cast)
Fitness & Nutrition, Vol., #006: Kale Health Benefits, 7.5 out of 10 based on 6 ratings

24 Responses to "Fitness & Nutrition, Vol., #006: Kale Health Benefits"

1. Catherine says:

You were site is fabulous ..turn into a book, like the pioneering woman.. Good luck

Hey Catherine!

Thanks so much, I appreciate it. Someday I will :) Ree is awesome.

2. judith o says:

Abeg, try to put it in your soup. Is it sweet? lol…. I cannot shout for messing up the taste of my soup o….

Hey Judith!

Lol, I’ve tried it in soup before and here’ what I observed: it takes longer to soften up, so you’ll have to steam it first for about 15-30 minutes, depending on how soft you want it to be, before adding it to the soup. It’s not a sweet or bitter vegetable, but it does have a ‘green’ taste to it, so I’d recommend mixing it with another vegetable, like spinach.

You can ease your way into it, say 80% spinach to 20% kale, gauge how you like it and increase it as you see fit.

3. Dee says:

I have substituted it in place of spinach stews such as Efo and it tastes amazingly the same!

Hey Dee!

I wouldn’t say exactly the same, as Kale is tougher than spinach and has a more ‘green/vegetable’ taste to it than spinach which is more bland. I always recommend doing a mix a spinach and kale till you can work your way up to using just Kale.

Glad you like it though, many benefits you’re ingesting!

4. Yetunde says:

Iwas looking for Akara recipes this morning and ended up on your website. You are AWESOME!

I’ve been cooking with kale in my vegetable stews for a while, and I have 2 tips. If possible, buy the baby kale which cooks faster and is easier on the stomach. If you have to use the mature scale, use small amounts sliced very thinly and consider blanching it in hot water first. It’s really hard on the stomach and a sensitive person eating it can end up with an upset tummy (can you tell that I’m speaking from experience?! LOL)

Hey namesake!

Aww, you flatter me, thanks hun! Someone asked me in another post a while back, and I recommended steaming/boiling the kale till slightly soft before adding to the stew. You are absolutely right, with it being tougher than say spinach.

Lol, yes, don’t we all learn from experience ;)

5. Ebun says:

This just reinforced my love for kale :D I have never been a fan of spinach, I find it too soft. Call me an addict of efo tete lols! Like your namesake, your asaro/ebe recipe brought me here. Well done!

Hey Ebun!

Amazing health benefits, more so than spinach! You’re welcome, hope to read more comments from you :)

• archiwiz says:

Kale is great! I also have never been a fan of spinach, and I love that I can put kale into ANYTHING! Literally! I’ve used it in smoothies, omelette, soup, and side dishes. I’m planning to use it in my fish peppersoup next week (As in, just add a handful of sliced kale into a bowl of hot peppersoup, stir, and eat.). Fabulousness! :D

Hey!

It is great! Raw kale might be a bit harsh on some bellies, but if you’re used to it raw, by all means, kale away!

6. Shelore says:

Well done2 yu all,kale actually am looking for the general name for kale or what market women used to call it in the market so i would get it easily..
    Do we have it in nigeria market,if we have it.. Where can i.

Hey Shelore!

Thanks! I have no idea what Kale is called in Nigeria or if it is even available. Will ask on Facebook, hopefully another reader might know something…

7. sabina yinkere says:

hi, i just happened upon the site, its lovely, been a lover of vegs, i belive its gud. i have seen kale but didnt know the name to be that, i will check the fruit market around me, i like them raw but if u say otherwise i’l try that too. what u guys are doing is great, God bless u, Nigerian women should go on vegs and fruits as studies shows that most fibroid cases are from the lack of veg. all the best

8. sabina yinkere says:

putting kale in the soup is not what i imagine, but try a veg spree ie all veg , its more nutritional, dont cook away all the nuts. thanks

9. Irene says:

PLEASE WHERE CAN WE FIND KALE IN NIGERIA, I ALSO WANT TO BENEFIT. THANK YOU SO MUCH.

Sorry, it doesn’t grow in Nigeria as far as I know. Spinach is another substitute…

10. Irene says:

PLEASE Where can we find KALE in Nigeria?

I don’t think Kale is available in Nigeria. You can use spinach though…

11. Bukky says:

Kale is available in Nigeria. Though not popular. I saw it in a village, cooked it wit egusi(melon) and didn’t even know it is called kale. The niger delta guy that I went wit said it is called “hospital far” becuse it produces blood quickly.

Wow and lol @ the name, thanks so much!

12. thelma says:

Kale is mistaken for “Hospital is too far” in Nigeria though they are in the same group.Kale as it is, is not grown in Nigeria.