Okra Soup with Crab [GUEST POST]

March 27, 2012 | 11 Comments

okra soup

There are those who love okra and those who don’t, those who find it too slimy and those who just happen to love that slimy texture. But once you get used to it, it goes well with almost everything:  fufu, gari, pounded yam, rice, etc…

Okra soup is very popular in many West African countries and there are more than a hundred ways of cooking okra soup. It can be cooked with beef, fish, chicken, goat meat, lamb, smoked fish, shrimp and so one.

One of my favorite ways to cook okra soup is with beef and crabs, although I have tried many other ways to cook okra soup, but this so far the one I prefer, I like the way the crabs add a wonderful flavor to the soup.

This guest post was written and submitted by Oumou of Kadirecpes.com. She also happens to be an African food blogger from Guinea! If you are interested in submitting a guest post geared towards African (or more specifically, Nigerian!) food, send your recipe and photos to submit@avartsycooking.com.

Now let me show you how to make this delicious soup that you are going to love (I promise :).

Preparation time: 15 min   Cooking time: 60 min  Serves: 4

chopped okra

Ingredients list

Direction:

Step 1:  heat the palm oil to medium heat in a heavy saucepan and fry the beef until brownokra, browned meat

Step 2:  Add the mince onion, fresh tomatoes and tomato paste. Fry it for 5 more minutesokra

Step 3:  Cover the meat with 2 cups of water and let simmer until the beef is tender. Let’s say 20 to 30 minokra soup

Step 4:  Once the beef is tender, add the crab and 2 cups of water. Let it cook for 5 min or till the crab turns pink

okra soup with crab Step 5:  Add some hot chilies (to your taste) , add the okra and bouillon cube(Maggi). Stir all together and let simmer at very low heat for 20 min african okra soupokra soup

Step6: To finish salt and pepper to your taste, you may add more peppers if you wish.

Serve with Fufu, Eba or pounded yam. I love to serve mine with Fufu plantain.

Enjoy!!!!!

- Make sure the meat is tender before you add the other ingredients.

- Once you have added the okra don’t go away because you will need to stir the sauce often to prevent it from burning.

My Thoughts~

1. The first thing I thought when I saw this, was that the okra were huge! I mean, larger than I’ve ever seen Okra to be. The Okra I purchase are smaller and as such, have smaller seeds. I’ve never had Okra soup with crab, much less any kind of seafood (apart from fish of course!), so this was interesting to read. I haven’t cooked real crab in a long time, I mean, a good while, I don’t even remember the last time I purchased it.
  2. I totally love the idea of using crab, especially as the flavors from the soup will seep into the crevices of the crab and when you suck up those juicy, meaty pieces, you are almost guaranteed to be getting a flavorful mouthful of crab.
  3. Another interesting tidbit is that I was taught not to add onions to okra as it prevents it from drawing, but in the past (as recent as last weekend), I have used stew (which was blended with onions) and didn’t have any troubles with it drawing and no, I didn’t use kaun/potash, which is supposed to help okra, draw. The use of onions in Oumou’s recipe didn’t seem to affect it either. Is that a food myth we need to debunk or would that be premature?
  4. I’m also assuming that the beef would be the kind easily found in the West to get soft in a few minutes. If I’m right, please don’t attempt the recipe with goat meat, as your meat would still be considerably tough after boiling for 20-30 minutes.
  5. I would have loved to see a photo of the soup with plantain fufu, just to put it into context. And the covered pot? Girl?! We need to see what’s on the inside, not the red lid! -_- (Jokes aside, but I can’t tell what the soup looks like in the pot).
  6. Otherwise, I’d definitely love to taste it with fufu which I haven’t had in forever. Nice work well done!
Rating: 9.7/10 (3 votes cast)
Okra Soup with Crab [GUEST POST], 9.7 out of 10 based on 3 ratings

11 Responses to "Okra Soup with Crab [GUEST POST]"

1. kadirecipes says:

Hello yetunde!
    I have been trying to email so many time but i can’t. I think there is a problem with your email .
    Anyway, i just wanted to thank you for submitting my post.

Hey Oumou!

Yes, my email was down the last couple of days. It’s back up now, but I didn’t get any from you. You can resend it now if you’d like. You’re most welcome!

2. Oumou: Good job! I love okra soup, but I’ve never tried to make it with crab, so this recipe is on the “To-make” list. Plus for whatever reason, I don’t associate cooking African food with a wok (that’s a wok, right?) In my mind, a wok is only for stir fry, so I was pleasantly surprised to see you use it to make okra soup. Another lesson learnt from you. Thanks! Also, the smashed tomatoes … I wasn’t expecting, but it looks like it worked well. High five!

Yetunde: I have never heard of the “onion and okra” myth, and have used them both together without any significant “draw-draw-lessness.” I say it’s time to debunk that myth. Yeah! (pounding fist in air) And I agree with the pictures of the plantain fufu. The okra soup looks lonely without it :-)

In Okra soup’s imaginary voice: “Fufu, where you at?! I thought we were friends.” :D

RB Funmilayo, hi ;)

I didn’t even notice it was a wok, I knew it was shaped different, but my thoughts were that it was similar to the pots used in Moroccan cooking, tagines! It very well could be a wok though!

*Hits gavel on table* We’re debunking!

You = a hot mess! I keep telling you!

3. HoneyDame says:

Deng! This meal looks all things nice. I have never cooked it this way before. I probably will try this out this weekend. Ha YettyMa, your thought#2 is way too graphic! Maka gini?!!! I could just taste it in my mouth!…..
    I agree with you though. It would have been nice to see what was inside the pot and also nice to see fuf plantain. I dont even know what that means or what it looks like. Never heard it before. I will let you know how it turns out.

Hey HD!

Let us know how it goes! Lol, hey, that’s the whole point! ;)

4. HoneyDame says:

Made this for lunch. I was still hesitant about the presence of tomatoes in the recipe but it turns out that it wasn’t even a problem as far as taste was concerned. Had it with eba and followed the recipe mostly but deviated a bit by adding to bitter leaf to mine…..:D

I dont know if it was the habanero peppers that I put or the bitter-leaf….but it helped with bowel movements too….:D…..**laughing hysterically now*

Overall, it was a hit. My sister loved it…Will definitely be making this again in future times

Hey HD!

Nice! Glad you made it and it turned out well. Lol, probably a mixture of both ;) You=a mess!

I’m glad you and your sister loved it enough to want to make it again! Go you!

• kadirecipes says:

I am so glad you liked , i will also try to add some bitter leaves in mine next time i make it.
      Thanks for sharing.

5. Roy says:

I love this site and have been trying some of the recipes. Kudos, Yetunde!

Hey Roy!

Thank you! Take photos of the recipes you try and send to me!