What Nigerian dish(es) do you cook for special occasions?

September 8, 2011 | 16 Comments

For me, Jollof Rice and/or Fried Rice is pretty much a staple, along with some type of soup. I mean, no Nigerian party is really complete without pounded yam and something, right? Lol

Q & A are a series of posts designed for us to get to know each other a little better! Have a question idea? Send it here!

Rating: 1.0/10 (1 vote cast)
What Nigerian dish(es) do you cook for special occasions?, 1.0 out of 10 based on 1 rating

16 Responses to "What Nigerian dish(es) do you cook for special occasions?"

1. Laide says:

I usually make jollof rice too, salad, egusi soup and meat pies

Hey Laide!

Sounds like a good event combo!

• hafs says:

what i cook for special occasions is masa(waina) with chicken soup or taushe soup and zobo drink or any fruit juice

Hey Hafs!

I’ve never heard of either of those dishes, I’m guessing you’re from the North. Anything with Zobo is always a winner in my books!

2. Azuka says:

Well, I haven’t really cooked much for others but my best dishes are jollof rice and yam peppersoup.

Seems jollof rice is a popular one! That yam peppersoup sounds good

• angie says:

Hey Azuka/Yetunde,
      Can either one of you put up the recipe for yam pepper soup? Would greatly appreciate it.

Hey Angie!

Will add to my list! Azuka, chime in if you like!

3. ms.O says:

Same. I make Jollof, fried rice, spicy meat, peppersoup, efo and PY. + I always make cupcakes for dinner parties and a drink called bully juice..:D Now I feel like having a party!!!

Hey you!!

Where ya been? Been m.i.a for a minute, I thought we were eye to eye on twitter, what happened there -_-, lol. What in the world is bully juice?! Have one, invite me over, I want some of that spicy meat!

4. onyi says:

i make jollof and, or fried rice. pies, yam peppersoup. zobo or milkshakes (depending on the no. of guests)

Ah, the ever popular jollof rice. Zobo, yess! Milkshakes, really? wow!

5. ade says:

The requests for jollof rice are hard to ignore but I have recently switched to also making a peanut chicken stew which has gone down a storm! I also tried a kidney bean stew with peanuts and that was finished, pot was licked clean! As for desserts a new puff puff recipe with cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and brown sugar – my mum actually asked me for the recipe *pat on the back for me* lol, also googled something called shuku shuku (which was easy to make and a light coconut finish to dinner)

Hey Ade!

Yeah, that jollof rice, it’s earned its spot though! Ooh, you love peanuts quite a bit. Cinnamon, nutmeg and brown sugar, gosh, I can almost smell the awesomeness of that combo! Nice menu you got going there!

6. MAU says:

it all depends on who the guests are but most times I cook jollof or fried rice,pepper soup, salad,moi moi and plantain. I also make Egusi or Afang soup( in Nigeria I will go for edikaikong) served with semo or pounded yam. if my guests are mainly from the East I will add Olugbo soup,ugba or nkwobi. Special occassions do not happen every day so let people have a lot to chose.Having said that recently I began diversifying my menu to have more non Nigerian dishes especially sea food.

Hii!!

Pepper soup is usually a good addition, especially in the winter months if you live abroad. I love how you cater to where your guests are from, very thoughtful! You’re indeed right, such occasions don’t happen everyday, so why not have guests pick and choose! Any particular seafood you like to add? I for one, love clams and mussels, shrimp, I’ll eat, but don’t really care for.