Reader Spotlight: Ugo O. makes Meat Pies

September 16, 2011 | 26 Comments

Another darling reader, Ugochi, made meat pies and sent in her photos! I love it!

Reader Spotlight is a series of posts geared towards dishes you‘ve made following recipes from AvartsyCooking. I appreciate all of you and in an effort to give you some shine, not just in the comments where you share how you made such and such, you get to also share with me and everyone else, the photo of your finished dish!

To participate, all you need do is send clear photos of your finished dish, name of the AvartsyCooking recipe you followed and a little back story behind your making the dish to submit@avartsycooking.com

Here’s some info from her on making the meat pies:

Name: Ugo O.

Recipe Made: Meat Pies

Back Story: “So finally I get around to sending you these pictures. Lol. Anyway, these are the meat pies I made. I am so proud of myself. The first time I attempted to make meat pies, I couldn’t get the dough right. It just kept falling apart. My husband even begged me to stop trying cos I was so miserable from messing them up. lol .

He just didn’t want me beating myself up for something he figured I didn’t have to know how to make. Anyway, I kept trying and finally i have it where I like it. I used a food processor for the dough which makes it so easy and quick to make meat pies.”

Ugo, I love that you didn’t give up and kept trying! Like I said, practice makes perfect! That dough looks good, not flaky and it’s the right thickness too. That filling? I love that it’s more meat than potatoes, which is one of the things I look for in meat pies. The food processor? Hey, I’m all for whatever works! Awesome job lady!

More photos:

Thanks to Ugo for sharing her photos! I’m sure it didn’t take long for it to get devoured ;)

Rating: 7.3/10 (6 votes cast)
Reader Spotlight: Ugo O. makes Meat Pies, 7.3 out of 10 based on 6 ratings

26 Responses to "Reader Spotlight: Ugo O. makes Meat Pies"

1. ugo says:

Aww. Thanks dear. I appreciated ur support thru it all

No worries! I’m glad I could be of help :)

2. Live.Love.Learn says:

Well done Ugo! I used your puff puff recipe a few weeks ago for a party my sister was throwing. It was a big hit. Unfortunately, I didn’t take any pictures mainly because it kept getting eaten as I was frying..lol! My sister’s friend who is Chinese eats it with hot chilli sauce (strange). My nephew keeps asking me for ‘squeezy balls’..that’s what he calls puff puff. Thanks for your website. It’s got me feeling inspired to cook different dishes. God bless.

Hi!!

Aww, next time you should shoo them out of the kitchen till you’re done!

I guess your sisters friend must like it sweet and spicy all in one, and I can just imagine all the grease on your nephews hands after squeezing, lol

Many, many thanks, I’m glad you’re finding the site helpful. Don’t hesitate to ask questions if you have any!

3. Myne Whitman says:

This definitely look great! I love meat pie, and love more mince that vegetables too.

Hey Myne!

Doesn’t it! We’re on the same page!

4. Chinelo Nweke says:

hello Ugo, I love your cooking.

kindly explain the butter measurement for this pie because I did`nt understand it (2.5 sticks).

thanks.

Hey Chinelo!

– 2.5 sticks of butter is roughly equivalent to 8.5 ounces or 241 grams or 17 tablespoons.

5. BAMIDELE OGUNKANMI says:

hi, yetti yetti i get the texture this time av got order for 150 pieces for my church anniversary when can i start to do the baking can i start to the baking like on a thursday cos am always getting tired sometimes and is there any preservative for meatpie

Yay! Congrats on the order! I wouldn’t bake too far in advance, but you can make the dough the night before and refrigerate, then bring out and hour before you need it to get it back to room temperature and knead before rolling. You can prepare the meat/potatoes on the day of, as those won’t take too long to prepare.

If I knew of preservatives for ‘freshly’ made meat pies, I wouldn’t recommend it as it takes away from the freshness, obviously. The fridge is your best preservation!

6. Yeye Omo says:

Men and brethren,
    Dem meat pies look sooo good.
    Ugo, would you please explain the food processor bit? I think I want go that route. Thank you.

Yeye Omo

Lol! Ugo, over to you!

• ugo says:

Sorry Yeye. Yetunde just brought this to my attention. With the food processor, I add the flour and salt first and pulse for about 3 secs. Then i cut the butter in bits like Yetunde did and pulse about 3 times (3 secs each). Then add the water lil by lil and pulse until the dough kinda seperates from the sidesof the food processor to the center.

Then u just put the contents of the food processor on a dry surface and form into a ball. Believe me for me this is a life saver as I have the dough done in like 5 minutes. Hope this helps.

Thanks for answering Yeye’s question!

• Yeyeomo says:

Finally seeing this….sigh!
            I figured it out and presto……meatpie!
            I’ll send some pics as soon as I’m able.
            Many thanks Yetunde and Ugo.

Looking forward to the pics!

7. Erinah says:

My meat pie is very strong, i dont know why. and also i used normal butter and 3 egg and one teaspoon of baking powder. pls tel me what kind of butter wld i use.

Hey Erinah!

I typically don’t use eggs in my dough and if I was to use it, most definitely not three and no baking powder either. Regular butter or margarine is fine, brand really doesn’t matter.

Try it without the eggs and baking powder and let me know how it goes.

• victoria says:

So you dont need baking powder. Why? and why do you use cold water.

Hey Victoria,

I typically don’t use baking powder in making meat pie dough as I don’t need it to rise. I use cold water because it helps bind the dough better.

8. Olawunmi Tobun says:

I love this. can I send you some recipes?

Hey Olawumi!

Thank you! If you’ve tried any of the recipes on the site, sure send in your version plus photos!

9. Anwuli says:

Yetunde hi,
    I tried preparing the meat pie but could not get the dough right is just falling apart and it came up tasting bitter could it be the green pepper? is anything i didn’t do right pls I need to prepare my own meat pies and I need some corrections before a second attempt

Hey Anwuli!

If the dough is falling apart, perhaps there is more of a flour to butter ratio. Too much flour and not enough butter will not make the dough bind properly. I didn’t use green peppers in the meat pies and normally don’t use it. I only use ground beef and seasonings. If anything, some chopped onions.

Hope that helps and keep me posted on the second outcome.

10. Pst Laz says:

I desire to know more about the mixing and the preservation of the filling… Can I preserve the filling in the fridge for days?

Hi!

You could preserve the filling in the refrigerator, but also keep in mind that we’re talking 2-3 days of constant refrigeration, so the temperature of the meat doesn’t fluctuate as people can get sick off that.

Hope that helps…