Edikaikong

June 30, 2011 | 63 Comments

edikaikong, edi ka ikong, pumpkin and waterleaf soup

Edikaikong is a Nigerian dish made from a variety of indigenous leafy green vegetables. The dish, literally translated, means ‘Pumpkin and Waterleaf Soup,’ and is native to the South Eastern part of Nigeria, more specifically, the people of Calabar state in that region.

Edikaikong is an incredibly rich vegetable soup as it involves the use of more than two vegetables. Typically, it is made with just Ugwu (Pumpkin leaves) and Waterleaves, however, I prefer to make it with 6 vegetables including the aforementioned two. In addition to it being rich, it is also a very labor intensive soup to make. It’s one of those soups that you make for special occasions or once a month for yourself.

From the way the name sounds, it might seem like a really complicated dish to make, but it really isn’t. If you know how to make regular vegetable soup, Efo Riro, then you should be fine with this.

That said, this is photo heavy, so on with it! (Also, please read the notes section, super important nuggets of info in there ;)

Requested Recipes are a series of posts geared towards recipes YOU’ve requested! If you’d like a particular recipe featured, let me know!

To learn how to make Edikaikong, here’s what you’ll need:

Recipe Cost: $62.88 Prep: 30 mins Cook: 2hrs 30 mins Difficulty: Intermediate Serves: 6-8

edikaikong

edikaikong.oha.nchawu.uziza.utazi.ugu leaves

1. Rinse cow feet, add to pot, add enough water to cover feet. Let boil over medium heat for 2 hours (keep checking water levels, add water as necessary till soft)edikaikong.cows foot

2. Rinse goat meat and turkey, add to dry pot over medium heat, add 2 knorr cubes, ground pepper & bay leaf. Let sweat 10-15 mins (don’t add water)edikaikong, goat meat

3. After 10-15 minutes, add enough water to cover meats. Let boil over medium heat for 1.5-2 hours or till soft

4. While the meat/cow feet are boiling, chop up peppers ready for blendingedikaikong.chopped peppers

5. Add chopped peppers to blender with 1/2-1 cup water

6. Blend till smooth (pre-heat palm oil and canola oil while blending)

7. Palm oil and Canola oil mixture should be hot at this point

7b. Add blended peppers into oil, let boil for 30-45 minutes over medium heat

8. While meat and peppers are boiling away, boil some water in a separate pot

9. Once water boils, start working on ‘cleaning’ the vegetables. Starting with Ukazi, get 2 bowls: 1 for scooping out hot water and the other large enough to hold the vegetables. (Don’t turn the heat off, just reduce it to low.)

9b. Pour out the Ukazi leaves into the larger bowl, pour in enough hot water to cover the vegetables. Stir with a spoon for about 1 minuteedikaikong, ukazi

10. Drain the Ukazi leaves from the hot water into a sieveedikaikong, ukazi

11. Once leaves are drained, rinse with cold running water 4-6 times (please don’t skip this step!)

12. Once rinsed 4-6 times, squeeze vegetables and transfer to a dry pot (no heat yet!)edikaikong, ukazi

13. Set that aside, move on to the next vegetable, Ugwu

13b. Pour out the Ugwu leaves into the larger bowl, pour in enough hot water to cover the vegetables. Stir with a spoon for about 1 minuteedikaikong, ugu, ugwu, pumpkin leaves

14. Drain the Ugwu leaves from the hot water into a sieveedikaikong, ugu

15. Once leaves are drained, rinse with cold running water 4-6 times (please don’t skip this step!!)

16. Once rinsed 4-6 times, squeeze vegetables and transfer to a dry pot (no heat yet!)edikaikong.ukazi

17. Set aside, move onto the Oha leaves

17b. Pour out the Oha leaves into the larger bowl, pour in enough hot water to cover the vegetables. Stir with a spoon for about 1 minute

edikaikong.oha leaves

18. Drain the Oha leaves from the hot water into a sieve  edikaikong.oha leaves

19. Once leaves are drained, rinse with cold running water 4-6 times (please don’t skip this step!!!)

20. Once rinsed 4-6 times, squeeze vegetables and transfer to a dry pot (no heat yet!)

20b. Don’t forget to check on boiling meats/cow feet and boiling peppers. Add water/turn heat down where necessary!

21. Repeat steps #9b-12 for the remainder vegetables (except Spinach!), Uziza…edikaikong.uziza

22. and Nchawu ‘scent’ leavesedikaikong.nchawu leaves

23. Once done cleaning the leaves, they should all be in a dry pot with no heat. Turn heat on to medium, stir often to mix up vegetables. Leave on heat for 15 minutes

24. While vegetables are on stove, meat should be tender. Transfer from stock into bowl with slotted spoon

25. Lightly deep fry (or bake) boiled meat

26. Return to boiling peppers, should be cooked at this point. Add remaining 3 knorr cubes, stir in thoroughly

27. Add fried meats and boiled cow feet to cooked stew till thoroughly coated

28. Turn heat off on vegetables and add to stewedikaikong

29. Mix vegetables into stew thoroughly. Let cook over low-medium heat for 15 minutes. (Taste/chew vegetables to see if it’s tender/soft enough)

30. While the soup is cooking/simmering away, rinse and drain frozen spinach

31. Add drained spinach to soup

32. Mix spinach into stew thoroughly, let cook another 5-10 minutes over low heat

33. Once it’s done simmering, you have Edikaikong!

edikaikong

edikaikong

Ingredient Info:

These vegetables can be purchased from your local African grocer or some online vendors. The vegetables will be marked by their name so don’t ‘cram’ what they look like o! Lol

1. Ukazi/Okazi leaves are also known as Afang leaves and are an ingredient in the popular Igbo dish, Ugba or African Salad. From my understanding, the Calabar, Efik and Ibibios call it Afang, while Igbos call it Ukazi/Okazi.
  2. Ugwu/Ugu is known in English as ‘Fluted Pumpkin leaves,’ and is believed to have great nutritional values and is often used in cooking soups.
  3. Nchawu, more commonly known as ‘Scent’ leaves are just that, scented or fragrant leaves. Much like you would consider Basil or Bay leaves to be scented leaves. If I’m not mistaken, they are also known as ‘Effirin’ in Yoruba.
  4. Uziza leaves are another kind of aromatic leaf and are often used to add flavor to stews and soups.
  5. Oha leaves — I have nothing, help a sister out!

1. As I mentioned in the beginning, Edikaikong is a very rich and labor intensive soup to make. I would recommend it for special occasions or once a month or so as a treat.
  2. You don’t have to use all 6 vegetables, you can use just Spinach and Ugwu leaves if you’d rather not be bothered with the rest. I think they go well together though, but it’s up to you.
  3. Edikaikong also uses more Palm Oil than normal, however, due to the density of the soup, at least 95-0-95% of it is absorbed by the vegetables, so you won’t have too much (if any) oil sitting at the top of the soup. Canola oil is completely optional. If you want to use it, but can’t find it, Vegetable or Corn oil will also work.
  4. All of the vegetables used (except Spinach) are very dark green, so your soup will be very dark green. Don’t be alarmed when you see this, there’s nothing wrong with your soup!
  5. It’s VERY important to rinse the dried vegetables, because they contain sediments/sand from when they were dried and packaged. If you do not rinse and drain those vegetables 4-6 times, I promise that you will taste grit/sand when you’re eating the finished product. That won’t be appealing, especially if you have to serve the dish. So, don’t be lazy and skip those steps, if it’s too tasking for you, ask someone who can help, to help. I can’t stress this enough!
  6. Sediment from first rinse of the Ukazi:
  7. Your finished soup should have little to no liquid. Edikaikong is not a watery soup, it’s very thick with vegetables, hence the need to use more vegetables than you would normally use for say, Efo Riro.
  8. 5 of the vegetables used, Oha, Ukazi, Uziza, Nchawu and Ugwu leaves are not bland or sweet leaves. If anything they are mildly bitter, hence the need for 5 knorr cubes. At some point before you finish cooking, be sure to taste and see if the amount of knorr cubes used is enough. If not, add 1 more and go from there.
  9. In addition to the vegetables being mildly bitter, they are also a bit tough and will take a bit longer to get soft/tender as opposed to Spinach which doesn’t take a long time to cook, hence our adding it last.
  10. You’re getting a bunch of vitamins with this dish, so don’t fret if you missed your daily vitamin after eating this!

Substitutes:

1. You can use any kind of meat you like: Goat meat, beef, shaki/tripe, kpomo, cow’s foot,fresh or smoked turkey, chicken, fish, etc.
  2. I’m not a huge fan of smoked/dried fish, so I tend to omit it in my cooking, however, if you like that, by all means add it!
  3. You can also add Periwinkles/Ishan or snails to the dish or add a combination of all the aformentioned!
  4. If you can find Waterleaves, you can use that instead of Spinach.
  5. Someone once mentioned in the comments on another post, that a friend of theirs used Kale. I wouldn’t recommend this as Kale is a bitter vegetable, maybe even more so than Ugwu.
  6. You don’t have to eat it with Iyan/Pounded yam, it’s vegetable soup, it can go with eba, amala or even rice. Up to you really. If you’re serving guests though, I’d recommend Pounded Yam or Semovita.

With Iyan/Pounded Yam…edikaikong, pounded yam, iyan

Add a bottle of malt, VitaMalt in this case (I massacred this meal, you don’t even know!)edikaikong, pounded yam, iyan, vitamalt

—————————————————————————————————————————————————–

Disclaimer:

The Recipe Cost of $62.88 is approximate for me in US dollars, but should be used an estimate only. Please keep price fluctuations & exchange rates in mind. If you’re based in the US, the grocery store(s) you frequent might have the same items cheaper or more expensive than what I purchased.

If you’re international, please keep in mind that exchange rates vary constantly. I recommend using this site to convert it from US dollars to your local currency. You might also have some of the ingredients at home already, thereby reducing the cost.

If you’d prefer to see an individual ingredient cost breakdown, let me know!

—————————————————————————————————————————————————–

Can I say Enjoy now? ;)

Rating: 8.3/10 (22 votes cast)
Edikaikong, 8.3 out of 10 based on 22 ratings

63 Responses to "Edikaikong"

1. dat1okrikagirl says:

First of welcome back have truly missed your post, and what a way to come back with edikaikong!! the soup looks so good and your pictures make me want to cook a pot this weekend. I’ve never added oha leaves to it before i will have to try that.
    i hope you have a good weekend!

Hey lady! *waves furiously*

Thank you, thank you! Hope you have a good weekend too!

Always good to read your comments! :)

2. Myne Whitman says:

Thanks for sharing this. Your African store def has a great inventory, wish I was so lucky. :)

Hey Myne!

You’re welcome! No such inventory in your neck of the woods? My, my, my…

You can always order online though :), I think some vendors might carry such ingredients.

3. Bookie says:

Yayyyyy an update…Thought I was gonna have to hire a search and rescue team to find you…Currently trying this recipe out…

Hey Bookie!

I know right! Lol, beat you to that search and rescue!

Let me know how it goes!

4. Chichi says:

Hi Yetunde,
    Must say, your version of edikaikong has given me ‘soup for thought’. Six veggies, WOW!!! must try it someday. Can i share a little tip for softening your ukazi, I usually wash mine in cold water, soak in cold water for a couple of hours, then I blend it all up with a blender. Note, the longer you blend, the smoother it becomes. You decide the consistency you prefer. Do not pour out the ‘soaking water’ cos you’ll need some while blending. And besides you don’t want to waste that ‘greenish water’, might contain some nutrients. Have you tried using some calalo too or a dash of ground crayfish/smoked prawns? …wicked!!!
    Sister in cookery(laughs)!

Hey Chichi!

Lol @ soup for thought. Thanks for sharing your tip!

I’m not a huge fan of crayfish hence my omitting it, I actually meant to mention that, but it somehow skipped my mind. But of course, it is an option for those who’d like to add it.

High five! ;)

5. Rotimi says:

I will most definately cook this soup i have never tried my hands at Edikaikong before but the picture is just irresitable.

thank you for the post amd the meicoulouse way you went step by step

Hey Rotimi!

You definitely should try it out if your never before!

You’re so very welcome!

Hope to see you around more! :)

6. oh my my my my, this looks so good! I have never had edikaikong before, I will definitely be trying this dish out:) thanks for posting!!

Hey Tola!

It’s most definitely a must-try! You’re welcome and do let me know how it goes!

7. Yay! Finally, you put up the recipe! Thank you! I learnt so much just reading this post (not to mention drooling at the pictures….LOL!)

6 different vegetables? Does that affect the texture or cooking time (as per some vegetables are harder, texture-wise than others)? It certainly looks labor-intensive like you said, but I am looking forward to trying it, especially since this is the 1st Edikaikong recipe I have seen with pictures (which really helps).

Long time! I know right, it only took forever ;) Most of the vegetables are harder texture wise, that’s why they’re put in first, so they can cook a bit longer before adding the spinach which wilts in little to no time. Also, using the hot water to start cleaning the vegetables also helps it begin the softening process, as well as mock steaming it. So, yes, it affects cooking time and texture wise, it’s not as soft as spinach, but it’s also not hard, for lack of a better word and the more you re-heat after refrigerating it, the ‘softer’ it becomes.

Don’t get me wrong though as I don’t want to give the impression that it’ll be like chewing roast corn, nothing like that at all! It’s not even chewy, it’s just not as soft as cooked spinach…hope I made sense there!

• Yetunde:

Thanks so much for responding so accurately. Your response makes a lot of sense! LOL @ the texture being like chewing roasted corn. That image won’t leave my head now, anytime I hear “Edikaikong” … LOL! And you’re right. Re-heating the vegetables somehow makes them more flavorful and tasty.

Lol, hey, I didn’t know what other analogy to give! ;)

8. kadirecipes says:

I just found your website through other blogs and it’s so enjoyable here, for foodlovers like me.
    Thanks for sharing these great recipes with.
    I also have a website about Guinean recipes
    I ll probably try some of your Nigerian dish.
    Take care

Thank you! Hope you try and like! Might try some of yours out too!

9. nifesimi says:

I’m so glad you’re back. I’ve being faithful in checking you. Welcome back.

:)) more to come! Being busy is both good and bad sometimes, lol. Glad to know you’re keeping an eye on me though! I appreciate the support!

10. NITA RAY says:

MY DEAR YETUNDE

THIS SOUP LOOKS SUMPTIOUS, BUT I NEVER NEW IT NEEDED SO MUCH LEAVES.
    AND AS A SOUTH-SOUTH DAUGHTER, I KNOW DAT YOU CAN’T REALLY GET THE TASTE OF
    A SOUP WITHOUT USING CRAYFISH.
    LOVE,

Nita,

If you’d read through the notes, you’d realize that I’m not a huge fan of crayfish and usually tend to omit it wherever I can.

11. Alice O says:

Hello Yetunde, I love your recipes but i’ll like to observe that this is not the right way to prepare original edikangikong soup – the calabar recipe. This is an adultereted one. The meaning of edikangikong is vegetable without water and it is pumpkin leaves and water leaves, you also cannot cook it without ground crayfish. Yours is just a vegetable soup and not edikangikong. Thanks.

Hi Alice,

Pumpkin leaves are Ugwu/Ugu leaves, water leaves are not easy to come across in my neck of the woods, so spinach was used in its place. If you’d read the notes, you would have noticed that I mentioned I’m not a huge fan of crayfish and omit wherever I can. Also, if you love my recipes, you should also know that all recipes are customizable to individual preferences; leave in/add ingredients you like and remove any ingredients you don’t like.

12. Amanda says:

Hey! Tanks for d wondaful step by step recipe. Been wanting to learn dis. Anytin wrong if d leaves re all fresh? And wat is d local name for Scotch bonnet \ habanero pepper? Thumbs up once more

Hey Amanda!

You’re welcome! Fresh leaves are even better. I could only find the dried kind, so I had to make do. ‘Rodo’ would be the local name for scotch bonnet/habanero peppers.

;)

13. Nneka says:

Hi Yetunde,

I’ll be trying this recipe very soon, it’s great! Thanks so much for sharing the recipes and pictures as well, it’s really helpful. I also love that you’re very meticulous and offer different variations on your recipes, that’s what cooking is all about! I must admit, I’m hooked now to this website!

Yes indeed! Glad you’re hooked, more recipes to follow soon!! Also, keep me posted on how this turns out.

14. Joicee says:

This is edikaikong soup on steriods!!!
    I’m from Akwa Ibom…..edikaikong and afang soup were staples in my home whilst growing up. I noticed you did not use waterleaves, is it because of the availability?

Thanks for such detailed work…well done!

Hey Joicee!

Lol @ soup on steroids! Yup, you’re right, I haven’t been able to find waterleaves in any of the African stores I’ve been to, so spinach had to take its place.

You’re very welcome! Glad you’re enjoying it! :)

15. Flo says:

Hi Yetunde,

It’s soooo good to know that the owner of this blog is alive and cooking! :) I discovered it recently and saw that the last update was in March. Please don’t give up on these beautiful recipes you have here. I especially love your photos. You really bring the food to life with your photography skills!

You have a great food blog, keep it up!

Hey Flo!

Yes o, I’m well and kicking! Give up ke? God forbid!

Thank you!!! :)

16. THELMA MICHAEL says:

i noticed that u did not add salt, is anything wrong with adding salt. And also some dry fish?

Hi Thelma,

I don’t use salt in cooking, unless it’s for frying eggs or plantains. Knorr or Maggi cubes also have a substantial amount of salt, so I find no need for additional salt. I’m not a fan of dry fish, so if I happen to be out, I’m out and don’t usually bother replacing it. You can always add either if that is your preference.

17. mercy says:

Hi yetty,i wanted to know if the process for washin the vegies shuld also be applied to fresh veggies,and i noticed the stock from all the cooked meat was not used why?? Tenks

Hey Mercy!

When washing fresh vegetables, use cold water to rinse a few times as it will also have sand and dirt in it and you most definitely don’t want that in your food! Since peppers were blended and seasoning was added, there is no need to add the stock and that would have made it a bit more watery than the soup needs to be.

18. tomi says:

What you have there looks really yummy.
    I stand to be corrected but this just seems like veg soup to me, the method is not that of edikainkong at all.

What makes edik what it is is the use of ugwu leaves and water leaf and water is not added in the preparatin at all. Also, u don’t add the vegetables to the stew like you are making efo riro.Palm oil is 1 of if not the last things you add.

I don’t see crayfish anywhere here.
    Might be wrong, just my thoughts.
    Thanks

• Josh UK says:

Tomi, I was also going to make a comment

there are quite a lot of leaves in this recipe and I watched my G.Momma cooking it when I was dragged to the village (Yes, dragged .. but that was ages ago, yrs ago) .. I noticed you only need Water leaves and Ugwu … using NO WATER when cooking because it all comes from sweating the meat and also from the water leaves. Crayfish is of high importance in this soup as well. Also, I dont believe peppers and tomatoes are used in this recipe … hence my comment

In all, I just stumbled on your website and …yeah, think I’ll join, seems fun

19. jully says:

thanks for this post, cant wait to try it out….
    pls want to ask if one can use fresh leave instead of the dried leaves used like d ugu, oha, ukazi.etc
    Also, can one get much nutrient from the dried leave as using the fresh leave?

Hey!

You’re welcome! Fresh leaves would work as well and yup, you can still get the nutrients from dried leaves, perhaps not as much as the fresh version, but it still packs a punch!

20. Edikan says:

I will have to try to cook this, but Wow! All my life, i have never heard of edikainkong been prepared in such a way. Sounds like this must some kind of vegetable soup from another region.

21. Fatorisa oluwakemi says:

I lov dt calaba soup n will tell mum to try it.thanks Yetunde

Hey Fatorisa!

Let me know how it goes! You’re welcome :)

22. zainab says:

I’m new on dis page n I’m glad I checke. U r doing a good job. Thank u 4 sharing

Hey Zainab!

Welcome to the site! Hope you try out some recipes too!

23. Betty says:

Hi Yetunde,

You are doing a great job here, I like your site and I intend to try out the chicken pie this weekend.

I will let you know how it goes.

Hey Betty!

Thanks and keep me posted on the outcome!

24. Taiwo says:

Jus found dis website nd I made mosa using the recipe looking forward to make bitter leaf soup

Hey Taiwo!

Welcome to our community! Glad you liked the mosa, let me know how the bitter leaf soup turns out!

25. Ayo says:

Yetunde,
    I must commend you for this. Ability to really come down to everyone’s level is a plus by giving us local names of the recipe. I look forward to trying out few of these in not too distant future and of course will share my experience with you.

Keep up the good work!

Hey Ayo!

Aww, thank you so much for that, I really appreciate that and thanks for noticing! Keep me posted on how it turns out and feel free to ask me questions if you have any issues while cooking!

I surely will, thanks again.

26. Ren says:

Thank you so much for the recipe! Followed this today and I am so proud of myself. Yummiest Edikaikong ever! Definitely a huge fan of your site. I’m still young and its good to have an independent source to learn because I have been away from my mum for a long time but you’re really helping me grow as a woman and learning Nigerian recipes properly. Grateful!

Hey Ren!

You’re most welcome! You should be proud, a successful attempt at a recipe is reason to rejoice! Thanks for being a reader, very much appreciated. Yes, that is one of my goals, so I’m glad the site is proving to be of great help to you away from mum!

I’m grateful for you as a reader! Hope to see more comments from you ;)

27. Uzo says:

This looks really delicious. On the other hand i don’t think its authentic. Once you start adding tomato, garlic, bay leaf etc, you lose the whole essence of edikaikong soup.
    My suggestion is, give us both the authentic and then the adapted version. All the same you are doing a great job. Thanks

28. Debby says:

Nice website. Will keep visiting. Sure helps to know how to cook Naija dishes when you are so far away from home to easily get local ingredients!
    Well done!

Hey Debby!

Thanks so much, I appreciate it!

29. Debby says:

Hello
    Great to see this site about Naija dishes. Really helps too to know how to cook home foods when u are so far away from home. Glad I visited and will keep visiting.
    Well done!

Hey Debby!

Thanks and welcome to our community! Would love to read more comments from you :)

30. Chinedu Diego says:

Hi Yetunde,

Well done. Your site is truly lovely. I noticed you don’t respond to the comments about the authenticity of this recipe- I think it shows intellectual maturity for you to respond. Its also good for your readers who may not know. This is not the original recipe- I’m sure its still a lovely soup and worthy of being tried out (I believe you have creative license to add/subtract ingredients in your recipe) but please acknowledge that this is not the original way Efiks make it,perhaps this is even your own unique creation which should be valued! Thank you

Hey Chinedu!

I believe I responded to the earlier comments about the authenticity of the recipe. This is how I was shown how to make it and more recent comments, I chose not to respond anymore. I could have simply deleted the recipe in itself along with comments or just closed off comments, but we’re all learning, so why do all that?

Everyone has creative license to tweak a recipe as they see fit and this is something I always espouse to readers.

31. gift says:

I have never seen where ukazi or oha is added to edikaikong soup, ukazi or afang is a different soup on its own same goes to oha. I’m saying this with full confidence ‘cos edikaikong is my native soup. I also disagree with washing the ugu leaf with hot water, when u wash with hot water the nutritional ingredient of the leaf is gone, infact the whole preparation is entirely different from how the Akwa-ibom’s and the calabar’s in nigeria prepare theirs, I guess you’re applying efo riro’s method but it doesn’t work that way ‘cos they are both different.

32. Nadine says:

Uhmmmmm sister there is no such thing as calabar state. Calabar is the state capital of cross river state. So it is just like saying lkeja state or ibadan state. Your recipes are awesome though.

Thanks for the correction dear.