Nigerian Chicken Pie

October 15, 2010 | 164 Comments

Nigerian Chicken PieNigerian Chicken Pies are a baked snack made from flour, butter, chicken and potatoes. It is a sister snack to Nigerian Meat Pies and as previously mentioned, chicken pies are to Nigerians what Empanadas are to Mexicans and what Beef Patties are to Jamaicans.

When I was in Nigeria, I only got Chicken Pie from Mr. Biggs; if I remember correctly, it was called Chicken Supreme, lol. Their pastry was a bit thicker than that of places like Tastee Fried Chicken and Tantalizers which was flaky. I cannot stand flaky pastry, it just irritates me to no end (no lie!). I think what I dislike so much about it, is that it’s so crumbly, ew.

Moving on, for some reason, prior to now, I always thought to make chicken pies, one had to use ground/minced chicken which I don’t care much for, until I thought to myself ‘hey, why not try chicken wings?!’ At that moment, it was a done deal for me! I think chicken pies should have texture and chicken wings will give definitely give that *see notes for more!* That said, this has lots of photos, so let’s get to it! ;)

To make Nigerian Chicken Pies, here’s what you’ll need:

Prep Time: 30 mins
Cook Time: 1 Hr
Difficulty: Intermediate Yield: 12

Nigerian Chicken Pie

1. Rinse chicken, cut off wing tipsNigerian Chicken Pie

2. Discard wing tips, cut each wing in half (at this point, pre-heat oven to 350 degrees)Nigerian Chicken Pie

3. Transfer chicken wings to bowl, add seasoningsNigerian Chicken Pie

4. Rub seasonings into chicken

5. Layer baking pan with foil & wax paper, add cooking oil spray to pan, then add chicken. Bake for 30 minutesNigerian Chicken Pie

6. While that’s baking, work on the dough; add flour, salt and butter (cut up) into a large bowlNigerian Chicken Pie

7. Work butter into flour with fingers till flour starts to look like bread crumbsNigerian Chicken Pie

8. Add water in small increments; work water into flour (still with fingers!) till it starts to form a moldNigerian Chicken Pie

9. Keep kneading till you get to this (looks like a brain huh? lol)Nigerian Chicken Pie

10. And then this (knead & roll till smooth)Nigerian Chicken Pie

11. Cover with a napkin and set aside. Peel potatoes, cut each in half and boil over medium heat for 15-20 minutes or till very softNigerian Chicken Pie

12. Check on chicken, remove if almost doneNigerian Chicken Pie

13. Transfer chicken to a flat plate or chopping board and de-bone (remove meat from the bone)Nigerian Chicken Pie

14. Discard bones and dice/chop up chickenNigerian Chicken Pie

15. If potatoes are soft, mash using a potato masher or a forkNigerian Chicken Pie

16. Add chopped chicken, mix together thoroughly; add leftover stock from baking pan, mix Nigerian Chicken Pie

17. Final mixture/filling close upNigerian Chicken Pie

18. Divide dough into 4 parts, roll one portion at a time with a rolling pin (not too thick, not too thin)

19. Cut out a rectangular shape with a cutterNigerian Chicken Pie

20. Add a heaping teaspoonful of filling/mixture to center of doughNigerian Chicken Pie

21. Dip one finger in bowl of water and swipe around bottom half of doughNigerian Chicken Pie

22. Fold dough overNigerian Chicken Pie

23. Pinch edges shut with fingersNigerian Chicken Pie

24. Repeat steps 19-23 for rest of dough & filling/mixture (pre-heat oven to 400 degrees)

25. Put unbaked pies on a baking pan layered with wax paper & sprinkled with flourNigerian Chicken Pie

26. Using a baking brush, brush eggs generously over chicken piesNigerian Chicken Pie

27. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees, bake chicken pies for 30 minutes or till light golden brownNigerian Chicken Pie

28. Let cool before transferring to serving plateNigerian Chicken Pie

29. And yes, you’re all done!Nigerian Chicken Pie

Nigerian Chicken Pie

Yes, I know, this is a very labor intensive recipe, but the results are well worth it. Read on for some tips!

1. Remember from the beginning, when I said I chose chicken wings for texture? Well, what I mean by that is that with chicken wings, you have the actual meat, bits of cartilage and other crunchy/chewy bits and all that gives texture. Now, if you use just ground/minced chicken, there’s not much texture involved. On the flip side, though, it you’d rather use ground/minced chicken, there’s nothing wrong with that. I think at the end of the day, it all boils down to personal preference.
  2. You don’t have to bake the chicken wings till its all the way cooked. It’s okay if the outside is cooked and the inside still has some pink to it, because remember, it’s still going back in the oven with the dough to cook for another 30 minutes, during which whatever parts did not get cooked, surely will. If you prefer your chicken cooked all the way through, that works just as well.
  3. You don’t have to use chicken wings, you can use chicken thighs/drumsticks, but I’d try to stick with chicken parts that contain bone, as that adds extra flavor to it.
  4. I got the chicken wings from the regular grocery stores here in the States and chicken from there doesn’t take long to cook. That said, if you’re in Nigeria or purchase African/Nigerian chicken, I’d season and boil it first till soft. After boiling, you don’t have to bake it, that’s just an extra step that you can choose to do…or not.
  5. When de-boning the chicken, you’re just removing all the meat from the bone. To do this, a flat plate would usually be best and also use a fork and knife.
  6. You can also wait for the chicken to cool and then use your fingers to pry the meat off the bone, but the propensity to just pop it in your mouth is wayyy too great for this one, lol.
  7. To chop the chicken up, I used a fork and a sharp knife, but it was work I tell ya! So, I’d instead recommend using a food processor to chop it up just enough, but not too much that you end up having what could pass for minced meat. If you don’t have a food processor, you can use a blender, but just run it through once or twice, no more! (If you’re making these for commercial purposes, I’d definitely do this to save time).
  8. After baking the chicken, don’t discard any leftover stock (no matter how small!) as this will serve to add some much needed moisture back into the filling mixture, as we don’t want that to be dry. If you boil the chicken, add 1-3 tablespoons of stock to the filling.
  9. If you don’t have a potato masher, just be sure the potatoes are soft enough so you can use a fork to mash it up.
  10. You don’t have to use sweet and regular potatoes. I originally decided to use only the regular/russet potato, but I got carried away, bought both and decided to use both! You can use either regular or just sweet potatoes, same difference!
  11. To roll out your dough, you can use a wine bottle if you don’t have a rolling pin, just be sure to wipe it down first.
  12. To make the rectangular shape, I didn’t have a rectangular cutter, so I used a rectangular bowl! Just press it into the dough hard enough and use a knife to cut out the shape.
  13. Your dough should not be too thick as it would then be too heavy and just sit in your throat and not too thin, because then, it might not be able to hold the mixture without seeping through.
  14. Typically, Nigerian chicken pies seem to always have that rectangular shape to them, hence me doing so, but you can use any shape you want.
  15. If you use salted butter, I’d skip adding the salt to the flour as that would be make the dough a tad saltier than it needs to be. (Too much sodium isn’t good for you anyway).
  16. The main and only purpose of the egg is to glaze the top of the dough and help give it that pretty golden color, along with a tiny bit of shine.
  17. Use generous portions when you’re scooping the filling into the dough, I mean who wants to eat so much dough with so little filling? :( That’s one of my gripes with Nigerian restaurants that sell meat/chicken pies, they use small amounts of filling relative to the amount of the dough.
  18. You can design the edges however you see fit. Use a fork to create a pattern, use a knife to make small cuts, whatever your fancy, so long as the dough closes, lol.
  19. If you’re a student, parent or worker, this will work for you as a quick on-the-go snack, for breakfast or  a quick pick me up before lunch.

Grab a soda/mineral and just dig in! :DNigerian Chicken Pie

Are you reading this line?! Kudos to you for reading through it!!! :)

Rating: 7.4/10 (55 votes cast)
Nigerian Chicken Pie, 7.4 out of 10 based on 55 ratings

164 Responses to "Nigerian Chicken Pie"

1. courtney says:

If people pie dough is hard that means you overworked it. I been making pie dough all type of pastries for years. The trick is to keep all ingredients cold!! And make sure to try to keep butter from melting in flour. If you see clumps of butter in your flour that’s good. It won’t be tough

Thanks for sharing the tip! Most appreciated!

2. Ogochukwu says:

sometimes using Crisco (butter flavored) instead of butter can be better. I just use the Crisco pie crust recipe and I don’t even have to knead my dough! It also comes out smooth.

Hey Ogochukwu!

I’ve never really used Crisco for anything before and always seem to stay away from it, perhaps because it’s so closely linked to fried chicken?! Whatever works for you though, I’m all for that!

3. Favour says:

I was looking 4 meat pie. I came across ur site & i saw dt 1derful chicken pie. Infact you are 2much, fantastic & 1derful. I LOVE IT. Keep it up ur labour wl nt be in vain. pls keep updating me. Ese popo

Hey Favor!

Welcome here! Aww, flattery will get you everywhere ;) Amen, my sister, amen.

4. patmena says:

This is yummy will try this out for my birthday celebration

Keep me posted on how it turns out and happy birthday in advance!

5. Chibaby says:

Good job. Pls how many tablespoon make a stick of butter?

Hey Chibaby!

Thanks, 8 tablespoons make a stick of butter.

6. Ernest says:

I take it that this dough is not the same as regular pie dough right? Coz you mentioned Kneading and haven’t mentioned anything about ice cold butter.

Hey Ernest,

That was an oversight on my part. In step #6, you can tell the butter is still in solid form, from which you can infer that it is cold.

7. Kemi says:

Hi Yetty,

Happy New Year. I’ve bin so very busy lately. just came in here and then i remembered today is your day!!!
    Happy Birthday!!!!!! You are dearly loved sweetheart. My cake plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. *winks* here’s my e-hug and lots of kisses. muah muah muah muahhhhhhhhh

Hey Kemi!

Happy New Year to you too! Aww, you remembered, thank you so much! Your cake, it’s on my roadmap for this year, I’m really trying to do better by everyone on the site this year :)

E-hugs and air kisses right back hun!

8. Kemi says:

Sup birthday babe!!!
    Weldone for the good job u’re doin. pls don’t get tired of d accolades and questions especially *winks*. I want to try this out on sunday but i need to be sure about somtins b4 den cos i don’t want to make any mistake.
    Now my questions, when the unbaked pies are all set, must it b layed on wax paper and sprinkled wit flower? if yes, why?
    secondly (this is actually for meatpie), is there an alternative for minced meat say corned beef? I can’t lay my hands on minced meat easily where i stay and i have cornd beef that stares at me everytime i open my fridge. will it come out nice?
    Merci!

Heeyyy Kemi!

I dey o! My sister, thanks so much, I really appreciate it. I love questions and all accolades, it’s all very humbling.

For the unbaked pies, you don’t have to put them on wax or foil paper, you can put it straight on the pan, but the flour is important to add so the pies don’t stick to the surface of the pan or wax/foil paper. If you don’t add flour, when the pies are baked and you’re taking them off, they will stick and the bottom might rip off.

For meat pies, you could probably use corned beef, I don’t see why it shouldn’t come out nice, just go easy on the seasonings as corned beef is already salty. Conversely, you can also just boil meat till really soft that it’s falling apart and use that instead.

Hope that helps and keep me posted!

• Kemi says:

Sup babe!! I made some on sunday and i love the way it came out especially the dough. the filling was a lil salty(my fault) will try and perfect my skill next time. I sent the pictures to you via ur mail. did u receive it?
        Remain blessed

Hey Kemi hun!

For some reason, I missed it, but I went back in and just saw it. Will post it next week :) Practice makes perfect, so don’t worry if it wasn’t all the way perfect this time.

• Kemi says:

Yetty mama how u doing? Hope you are good? Now I’m angry oooooooooo. I have not seen my chicken pie post like you promised.

Hey Kemi!

I dey o. Ah, you must not vex o! I planned to post it today, but it’s now scheduled to go live tomorrow morning! ;)

• Kemi says:

I have seen it!!!!!!!! Yipeeeeeeeeee!!! thanks. Will keep u posted on the meatpie and doughnut.

You’re most welcome, thanks for submitting. With the great job you did with that, I’m sure the meat pie and doughnuts should be a breeze, keep me posted!

9. Tolz O says:

Happy belated birthday. Thanks for all you do sharing this precious page with us. I’ve tried more than 7 of your recipes and they are superb. I’m definitely going to try this recipe tomorrow. Hope it turns out well. Thanks once again.

Hey there!

Thanks!! You’re most welcome, I love sharing what I know and I’m glad that the recipes you’ve tried came out well, always good news. Don’t hesitate to ask questions if you run into any issues!

10. Lizzy says:

Is it just potatoes and the chicken that forms the filling? What if the filling is prepared like meat pie filling and chicken used instead of beef? How will that turn out?

Hey Lizzy!

Yes, it’s just potatoes and chicken that forms the filling. If you were to use chicken (ground/minced or wings) instead of beef, you’d still end up making chicken pies. The protein used is what determines the name of the pie, if you were to use beef, it’ll be a meat pie, use fish and it’ll be a fish pie.

Potatoes can be optional, they just make it more filling, but that’s up to you.

Hope that helps <3

11. Patience says:

Hello..u ar rily doin a good job here,jst discovered this site today..pls yetty can i add eggs to my dough bfore kneading to make it softer??

Hey Patience!

Thanks love! There is really no need to add eggs to your dough, but if you really want to, I’d recommend just using the yolk as it will provide more moisture. You can always add a bit more butter, and keep in mind that dough that is slightly moist/wet when handling before rolling out is fine as it will further dry out in the oven.

12. Mrs jele says:

Thanks yetty,this is really great,I made your samosa recipe and it came out lovely.
    Please yetty can the dough be fried just like samosa?thanks you. keep up with the great job

Hey there!

Thanks! Awesome, I love reading success stories! I haven’t tried frying the dough before, but I imagine it can be fried, perhaps with some minor modifications.

13. This is a wonderful post. You are really doung a great job here. Keep it up.

Hey Osobo!

Thanks, will do!

14. wealth says:

Hello great job my question is I don’t have oven can deep frying give me exact taste α̲̅πϑ texture?

Hey!

Hispanics deep fry their Empanadas, which are similar to meat/chicken pies. You can use the same dough recipe for deep frying. Let me know how it turns out!

15. keke says:

hi yetty,i found your chicken pie recipe nd i decided 2 make it for ma husband buh it turned out bad cos it ws too hard.ma husband consoled me saying its bcos i used a microwave,nd i wonder if it could trully b d cause…nice job anyways

Hey Keke!

If it was hard, it’s probably because it was left too long in the microwave. Using a microwave is a tad unconventional, but if you try it again using the microwave, try using less time and see how it turns out.

You could also try steaming it you know ;)

16. Cjameswilliams says:

Can I just use sweet potato instead of white? I can’t stand white potatoes. Lol I looked for meat pie recipes online it says to use white russet. I’m not a potato girl and hate it to be a filling in recipes . I just leave it out my recipes. But sweet potatoes I love. Can I use it just in meat pie or will that change the taste of the meat pie?

Yup, sweet potatoes work alone or no potatoes just meat, up to you my dear!