Ogbono Soup

September 13, 2010 | 77 Comments

Ogbono SoupOgbono Soup is a Nigerian dish made from mango-like seeds. These seeds are dried, ground and the end result which is somewhat coarse is what is in used in making Ogbono Soup. You can either purchase the dried seeds or the ground version. If you opt for the seeds, you’d probably have to grate them to get it into a ground consistency.

Ogbono soup has a mucilaginous/draw-y consistency much like Okra soup, but is a tad thicker than Okra. It’s probably one of the easier Nigerian soups to make, even though it sounds so ‘heavy,’ and probably makes you go ‘huh? what? me cook Ogbono?! I don’t know how to cook it o!,’ I promise it’s quite simple ;) Ogbono is also known as Apon.

Without further ado, here’s what you need to make Ogbono Soup:

Prep Time: 10 Mins Cook Time: 2.5 Hrs Difficulty: Easy Serves: 2-4

Ogbono Soup

1. Rinse goat meat and shaki/tripe

2. Add to pot along with seasonings

Ogbono Soup

3. Let sweat (don’t add water) for 15-20 minutes over medium heatOgbono Soup

4. Once time is up, add enough water to cover all the meatOgbono Soup

5. Boil over medium heat for 1.5 – 2 hours till soft (pierce meat with a knife to check softness, should give little resistance)Ogbono Soup

6. Once meat is soft, you should still have about 3-4 cups of stockOgbono Soup

7. Reduce heat to low; add palm oil to stock, let dissolve if semi-solid, then stir palm oil into stock, let simmer for 5 minutesOgbono Soup

8. Sprinkle ground ogbono into stock (still over low heat)Ogbono Soup

9. Stir ground ogbono into stock thoroughlyOgbono Soup

10. Turn heat up a tad & keep stirring (you’ve got to be fast with it!)Ogbono Soup

11. Reduce heat back to low, let simmer for 5 minutesOgbono Soup

12. Turn off heat, let rest another 5 minutesOgbono Soup

13. And, you’re done!Ogbono Soup

Ogbono Soup

1. Here’s what ground Ogbono from Nigeria looks like (look at the black ‘nylon,’ ‘lylom’ bag!! memories, lol)Ogbono
  2. Here’s what that looks like up close (looks like dirt & little stones, huh?)Ogbono
  3. Now, here’s that compared to Ogbono bought in the States…Ogbono
  4. The one to your left, from Nigeria, is darker than that to your right, which was bought here in the States. I used the one from Nigeria (left) but I haven’t yet tried the one I bought (right). I don’t imagine there would be much of a difference, I think the one bought here will draw as much as the one from Nigeria; I just thought it was worth noting!
  5. This recipe is for plain, bare bones Ogbono Soup, you can totally get crazy creative with it and add stock fish/kpanla, spinach, ugwu (or other green leafy vegetable).
  6. You can also use fish, chicken or turkey in place of shaki/tripe and goat meat, or use all! If you decide to use/add fish to your Ogbono Soup, be sure to cook it first (fry/bake) before adding it to the mix.
  7. Instead of adding the palm oil and ground ogbono to the stock, you could add some palm oil to a pot over low heat and then add the ground ogbono, all the while stirring. This method is helpful if the ground ogbono is not so smooth/fine in consistency and stirring it in the palm oil before adding it to the stock helps make it smoother. The method in the recipe works either way and is especially helpful if you’d rather do it all in one pot or are pressed for time. Either way gives you Ogbono Soup!
  8. You can also cook some meat/chicken stew on the side and add that on top of the ogbono soup when you’re serving it.
  9. You can also add water to it, but I’ve noticed that doing this gives you more Ogbono soup (obviously!) and in no way makes it watery (odd!) Ogbono is a thickener, so that very well could be the reason.
  10. It is important to have a good amount of stock right from the get go, so you don’t have to keep adding water. If at any point, the water used for boiling the meat starts to dry out before the meat gets soft, add more. From the beginning, the water should cover most of the meat and by the time it’s done, it should have reduced to at least half of what it originally was.
  11. As soon as you add the Ogbono to the stock and start stirring/mixing, it should change color to a darker brown and start drawing almost immediately.
  12. Ground ogbono smells very similar to the actual soup, so if the ground ogbono you get doesn’t smell like that or even worse, has no smell, it might not do well in the pot.
  13. You can refrigerate in the pot or transfer to a bowl, add some water when reheating. If over the stove, reheat over low heat or microwave till hot and bubbling.

Serve with ebaOgbono Soup

Ogbono Soup

#Randomfunfact: I don’t (can’t & won’t!) eat eba/iyan/amala with my fingers/hands. That said, I always use a fork. Reason being, (at least my logic, lol) is that I grow nails and don’t like all that ‘stuff’ under it. Warped, I know, but whatevs, it works for me! I’ve heard it all too, ‘you’re missing out, that’s the best way to enjoy Naija food!’ I still can’t though, lol.

Rating: 8.5/10 (33 votes cast)
Ogbono Soup, 8.5 out of 10 based on 33 ratings

77 Responses to "Ogbono Soup"

1. dat1okrikagirl says:

we love ogbono in my house, but we always have a fight with it, my mom likes her’s with bitterleaf, okro or spinach and my dad likes his plan just like you cooked it.
    I LOVE rice and when there is no stew or efo but there’s egusi or ogbono it goes on the rice and i love it.
    I’ve heard ppl make that comment that you cant enjoy eba with a fork, or its only oyinbo that eats it that way. I prefer eating it with my hands; I have used a fork before and using it didn’t take away from how good the food/experience was.

Lol, I guess you all will have to cook the two different versions for the sake of peace. Yep, the rice and ogbono (or even with egusi) is not at all as bad as I thought. I’ve heard that too about being I can’t enjoy eba with a fork or only oyinbo or aje butter eat it with that, but ahh, it’s hard for me to use my hands. I did try it once though, and I liked it better, but I still stick with my fork, lol

2. Azuka says:

Another great recipe. I cook mine mixed with okra sometimes.

Hey Azuka!

Thanks! You know, I forgot to mention that, yep, a friend told me that too, that one can add okra to it. I’ll have to try that out sometime.

Good to see you back! :)

3. Amina says:

You’ve done it again… I love Ogbono and like Azuka I mix mine with Okro/okra added to the beef, stockfish, kpomo, dryfish, periwinkle and snail if time permits…I guess I like my soups very very busy

Aww, thanks :) Wow, seems quite a few people mix it with okra, hmm, now, I really have to try that! Yumm, your very busy soups sound really good! You should mail a pot to me sometime, lol ;)

4. Bolanle says:

Hello! I have been a silent fan for a while, lol. I love your website! What’s the reason for making the meats sweat (noticed that in another recipe before) Thanks!

Hi Bolanle!

Aww, yay! You came out of lurker status! Don’t hide, we’re a friendly group :)

The main reason for making meat sweat, for me anyway, is to let the seasonings penetrate it better and also because the meat already has its own liquids/fats, so sweating helps drain all that out and it gives the stock more flavor too if you decide to use it. If I’m pressed for time though, I totally skip it, lol

Thank you! Hope to see around more!!!

5. Joicee says:

Wow …I love ur website…very informative ..I love Ogbono soup, I always add spinach leaves and sometimes a lilĀ“ egusi as well to mine …in naija we used vegetable leaves”ugwu” .

Hi Joicee!

Thank you! Ooh, that’s a new one…adding egusi to ogbono. How does it turn out? Girl, I know what ugwu is, you didn’t have to put it in quotes, lol

Hope to see you around more :)

6. Joicee says:

It is delicious as well, but not so drawy like it would be when you use ogbono on its own.

For a minute, I was about to say huh? I get it now though ;) I’ve never actually tried Ogbono by itself before, hmmm, I should!

7. blessing says:

Hi, I love ogbono soup but i don’t like it without leaves. I make it with either bitter leave, or both. i want it greeny and thick. It is my best soup.

Of recent, I’ve actually been making it with spinach and it’s so yummy! Never thought to try it with bitter leaves, will try that next time.

8. greennaija says:

Thanks, lady.

I am a real novice at Nigerian cooking. I will try this, as it seems like a straightforward recipe, and I will let you know how it goes. Trust me, if I can do it, so can anyone.

BTW, I remember shaki hanging from the walls when my mum used to clean it. Do they sell it already cleaned?

Also, i would love to make some pounded yam but don’t have the strong arm to do it. Any tips?

Bless you and thank you in advance.

GN

Ahh, you should be fine! ;) If you run into any problems, don’t hesitate to ask! I’ve never heard/seen shaki hanging from walls before during the cleaning process though, when rams were killed at home, all the innards were cleaned in a large bowl with lots of water. Yup, shaki sold in most of the Western world is already cleaned, cut and packaged, so all you need do is rinse and cook. I’d recommend checking African grocery stores or Hispanic grocery stores that also carry African ingredients.

There really is no short cut to making pounded yam without having your arm ache you at some point. I make mine by boiling water, pouring some in a separate bowl once its boiled, reducing the heat to low, then adding the pounded yam flour and stirring till it starts to solidify. If it’s too thick with lumps, add some more hot water from the one set aside, keep turning over low heat and adding hot water as needed. For the final turning, I do put the pot on an old rug/carpet on the floor and continue turning till its smooth. Adding more hot water while stirring does make it softer, so you don’t want to add too much but it should help some with the turning.

Also, you can turn it vigorously for about a minute, take a break for a few seconds and turn it vigorously again. That seems to work for me, so hope it works for you too :)

Bless you too and you’re very welcome!

• lolita says:

Hi Yetty, Hello everybody, I’m commonly known as Lapopo. I am new here but thoroughly enjoyed going through your recipes and comments! thanks ‘cos for a foodie like, it takes only a minute to recognise & appreciate another foodie :)

Here my 2 pence that can be considered to stop the muscle ache when making p/yam…i tried it from frustration and voila.got result! boil the yam (no salt) and usd the food processor to mash it up…….girlfriend, i couldn’t believe my eyes, cos what i got was proper ‘poundo yam’……………i have never looked back……….the only limitation is that you can ony make a small portion of the p/yam at a time except you have an industrial sized processor..

cheers!

Hey Lapopo!

Yay! Thanks and glad you enjoyed going through everything! I haven’t made pounded yam from scratch in a long, long time, I usually get the flour and mix that with hot water. I will keep your method in mind though and if anyone else reading gets tired when making it, that’s a suggestion for them as well, so thank you! :)

Hope to see you around more!

9. CoopersMama says:

I love Egusi, but have never tried Ogbono. I went to the African market and bought all the ingredients (including the tripe- whoa nelly!) I am going to try this this evening with some pounded yam. Dinner for my German American husband and German Mother in law. And I am Kenyan. Wish me luck- I need it :)

If they’ve never tried ‘drawy’ and gelatinous type soups and meats before, I don’t know that it would be a good idea to make Ogbono for them, more so if its their first time trying it. Since you’ve tried and like Egusi, you could make that as well. Or, since you’ve already bought the ingredients, you could also make some meat stew/soup and some white rice, so if the Ogbono doesn’t go down well, there’s a ready back up available.

Good Luck though! :)

10. olive says:

hi thanks for the recipe, do u add blended crayfish/okpeye/onions/pepper to the stock? if i do will it change the taste and consistency? oh almost forgot incase u don’t know okpeye is dried locust beans i think…not sure lol…quite frankly i can omit the okpeye but what of the blended onions/crayfish/pepper mixture? thanks in advance!

Hey Olive!

There is no need to add blended onions and pepper to the stock. If you really want to add some, you can add a few spoons of already cooked stew (to the stock).

Onions especially, are not to be added to soups that draw, like Ogbono and Okra. Adding onions prevents it from drawing.

You can definitely add ground crayfish or stockfish to the soup, those add more flavor, but I’m not a huge fan of them, so I tend to omit it.

I’m not familiar with Okpeye, but from the description you gave, it sounds like another name for Iru, which is also locust beans. I’ve never cooked with Iru before, so I’m not sure what or if it’ll make any difference in the soup. You can try a tiny bit for starters to see if it makes much of a change.

11. teema says:

hiii,,, soo i love ur website..constantly checking for new updates!
    I tried to make this but mine turned out somehwat bitter… i concluded it was because i used alot of egusi for not alot of stock. BUT u see the problem i have with all these soups is not knowing when i have used enough. mind u i just started cooking these, i made ogbono the first time ever in my life this week :), apart from the thickness and bitterness it turned out decently..do u have any advice for me regarding that please?

Hey Teema!

Thank you!! New updates very soon, I promise! Wait… I’m a bit confused. Did you add Egusi to your Ogbono soup or you made both separately? I’ve never made Ogbono with Egusi before, so I’m not all too sure what that should be like. However, for the Egusi and Ogbono soups made separately, if you follow the exact measurement called for in the recipe you should be fine (I use measuring cups for those).

With both soups, you want to have enough stock before adding the ground Egusi or Ogbono to the stock and if you’ve already added it and you notice its thicker than you’d like, you can always thin it out with water, but it’s always better to start with enough stock from the beginning because I also find that when you use water to thin it out, it loses a tiny bit of flavor as well.

For the bitterness, I’ve never noticed Ogbono to taste bitter, while it has a distinct earthy smell and taste, I wouldn’t describe it as bitter. The only thing I can think of is that maybe the ground Ogbono used was not too fresh, but then again, ground Ogbono can keep for a while without losing its efficacy.

To remove the bitterness though, you could try starting off with a good amount of stock, so that when you add the Ogbono, you give it enough time to cook, which might eliminate the bitter taste you mention. You could also add fresh or frozen, chopped spinach to the Ogbono to give it a slightly different taste.

Give it another go and see how it turns out this time. You’re very well on your way to being a pro now ;)

heyy sorry i was out of it writing that comment, i meant ogbono not egusi, it wasnt so much as bitter but definitely not the beautiful taste i know ogbono to have, but it turned out really thick so i am guessing i used too much. Thank you for the lenghty answer!!! i guess its trial and error learning when u have the right amount of stock for the right amount of ogbono to use right?

No worries :)

Say you’re using a medium sized pot and your stock is at a level that you would describe as half, you’d want to use about 1-2 cups of Ogbono. You can start with just 1 cup and gauge the consistency from there. If your stock is a little over what you would describe as half, still use 1 cup initially, gauge the consistency and if you’re not satisfied, try adding 1/2 a cup and see if you prefer that. I wouldn’t do more than 2 cups though for a medium sized pot. If you’re using a much larger pot, you can use up to 2 cups of Ogbono.

Does that make sense? I hope it does, I can’t think of another way to explain it :(

no it does actually!! i definitely used more than 2 cups for a small -medium sized cup..lol..first time making ogbono in my life! lesson learnt though :-)..thank you!!

Yay! Glad to be of help. It should definitely go better the second time around, good luck! If you have any more questions, be sure to let me know :)

12. Courtney says:

Hi my names is courtney I was wondering if I can eat farina with it all your soup recipes. Im half nigerian my father use to cook nigerian food but he is out side the state. Im learning on my own how to cook my culture cuisine. This is a great site. Oh and how do I cook farina?? My dad use to cook it alot. I do not know where to purchase it. We hardly ever ate pounded yam. I just luv farina more.

Hey Courtney!

Yup, you can eat Farina with most, if not all of the soup recipes. You go, learning to cook Nigerian food, I’m sure you already know it’s so yummy too ;) I don’t make Farina much, but I imagine it’s cooked the same way as amala or pounded yam; boil some water in a pot, once it starts boiling, pour some aside in a bowl and with the remainder in the pot, start adding the flour slowly (reduce heat to low) and keep stirring with a wooden spoon till it starts to thicken and form a mold you can shape with your hands etc. If it’s too thick, you can add some of the hot water you put aside to make it softer.

If you have African stores around you, I’d recommend trying there first or maybe some ethnic stores like Mexican stores might have it, if not, I would do a google search and see if there is an online vendor that carries it.

13. Courtney says:

Thank you I will try that. I have two africans stores around I guess I will have to buy most of my ingredients there. I love nigerian food its just I never learned how to make it on my dads side of the family. They will cook it and ill just eat it.

Two African stores? Ahh, I’m pretty sure they’ll carry most of what you need ;) Lol, well now, you can get in the kitchen and have them eat your cooking this time around!

14. Courtney says:

Thanks for the help. Ill be sure to try all your recipes out. My family is going to be shocked when I prepare nigerian food for them.

You’re welcome! I’m sure they’ll be pleasantly shocked!

15. Nji says:

you know when you said ‘ youve got to be fast with it’… is there any particular reason why?

Hey Nji!

Once you turn the heat back up, the propensity for the Ogbono to burn increases quite a bit. So, in order to aovid that and have the ground Ogbono mixed in thoroughly, you’d want to be as fast as you possibly can go! :)

16. ennobel says:

i tried cukin ogbono soup.hahaha! It was terible.myb 4rm my method or my ogbono was bad cos it dint draw n i got 2 add okro.d way i md it was 1boild my meat n d rest ingre.2in anoda pot add red oil n pour in d grounded ogbono 2fta 3mins i add water n stir cud it b d cos nid ans cos my husby likkes d soup very much.tnx.

Hey Ennobel!

Aww, sorry to hear it didn’t turn out right. I usually just do everything in the same pot, instead of using separate pots.

Try boiling your meat in one pot and have enough stock leftover so when you add the oil and Ogbono, there is enoug liquid and no need to add extra water, unless of course, its too thick.

Try it that way, same steps in the recipe and let me know how it goes.

• c says:

Hi Ennobel,
        Maybe ur oil was too hot or you fried the ogbono for long, you can try adding the ogbono to the hot oil,stirring and then adding your stock.

17. Grace says:

Great website!
    Organize and very detailed !!! Woo Hoo!!

You deserve a hi-5 for the pictures too!!

Hey Grace!

Aww, thank you :D !!! I appreciate it and glad you’re enjoying the site :)

18. Bashir says:

I lyk all the terms on dis page bt pls i want to know the name of dat mango like fruit dat we get ogbono from?

Hey Bashir!

Thanks! If you mean the English name for Ogbono, I know it is the seeds from the African mango tree. However, I’m not sure if the seeds have a different English name.

19. Helene says:

Hi Yetunde

Firstly thanks so much for your site, I’m a Ghanaian learning to cook 9ja style because my hubby to be in 9ja and loves his traditional foods especially the soups. Although I kinda knew how to make most of the soups already, your easy to understand and follow step-by-step instructions are a true God-send.

Secondly with regards to eating with your hand and growing nails, Ghanaians have a way of cutting our solids with the side of our index finger only therefore the bits of food do not actually go into your nails. I also have nails and I never get anything in them, do try it because everyone is right you are missing a lot eating with a fork, the food always tastes better when eating with hands ;-)

You’re welcome! :) Lol, I do enjoy eating with my hands whenever I try it, but I can’t get over the feeling of my hands being icky and just wanting to rinse them, lol

It’s a work in progress though ;)

20. angela says:

Hi Yetunde,

I have been making ogbono and egusi soup for a few months now, though the method I have been using, for ogbono, is different to your recipe but I will give it a try.

I made ogbono soup for my husband and I usually add okra and spinach but he said that it had a bitter aftertaste, I usually fry the ogbono with palm oil before adding it into the stew – is there any way to remedy it please? I’m not sure if I have over fried it!
    Thanks

Hey Angela!

Perhaps the combination of okra and spinach is what is contributing to the bitter after taste. I’ve added spinach to ogbono in the past before without noticing a bitter taste. Leave out the okra and use just spinach and see if that makes a difference. It could also be the Ogbono has been fried longer than it needs to. Try this recipe and just spinach. I’d love for you to keep me posted on the results.

21. Cleopatra says:

Please please tell me you I can order this food items from you. I live in a small town that is full of only white people lol and I just found out I’m pregnant so i’ve been craving my sweet sweet nigerian soups like the egusi and the ogbono and okra soup and I don’t knoww what to do, I feel like i’m going crazy already not being able to buy this stuff. Please please again tell me I can get this from you, I need to eat some nigerian food or i’ll do something i’ll regret lol jk. I want to eat some egusi and ogbono soup and I want to follow exactly your recipes so if you can please let me know if this is at all possible, I would so love you forever! I live in Colorado and a very small town, so its impossible to get that food here, I am like the only black person in this town, its horrible! Please be my savior in this case, please please please

Hey Cleopatra!

Lol, unfortunately, there’s no way *bursts into tears uncontrollably* Congrats on the pregnancy! Wishing you a healthy & happy one! Do you have any African/Mexican stores near you? That way you’d be able to make some of these dishes you crave.

Or you can order from online vendors and have it shipped to you if you have none around you. Sorry I couldn’t be of more help! :(

22. Olaide says:

I have a question that I have been wanting to get an answer to.

While growing up, I have been told several times to leave the pot open while cooking any draw soup once the main ingredient has been added (okro, ogbona, ewedu). From my understanding, If the pot is covered the soup will not draw properly and it becomes watery. Am assuming the moisture is not able to escape when covered, thereby making the soup water :-)…….blank stare………I really have no idea.

So, what is your take on this?

Oh em gee, I missed this comment! Major apologies, never takes me this long to respond!

Yes, the folks that told you never to cover the pot when cooking draw soups were right. The pot is best left uncovered as when it is covered, the lid retains moisture which drips into the soup and makes it become flat not necessarily watery, which is never ideal for any draw soup.

Hope that makes sense!

23. olufunke olawoye says:

I’ve gain a lot and I promise to try what I’ve read

Hey Olufunke!

I’m glad you’re gaining a lot from the site, that was my intention, so I’m glad to see it’s helping you out!

24. Mrs 9ja says:

Finally, we the association of foreign women married to 9ja men have found our spot for food ideas, mhmmmm, may the Lord bless you and keep you, may He make his face to shine upon you, may He give you peace, May your children marry wondeful spouses, may your home forever stand upon the solid rock. Keep up the good work and thx for saving our behind…litteraly, u know your men and their stomack no be small matter oo lol.
    blessings

Hey Mrs. 9ja! (love the name btw)

Aww, I absolutely love your comment! Amen, amen, amen and amen. Prayers are never too much!

Thanks so much for that, love and appreciate it!

More grease to your elbows in the kitchen!

25. Kingsley says:

I’ve eaten ogbono many times but never made it till yesterday using this recipe. It came out perfectly. I used goat meat and smoked catfish. Thanks very much.

Hey Kingsley!

You’re most welcome, I’m glad the recipe worked out for you :) Keep me posted when you try some other recipes!

26. mr why says:

I dont know how you can eat this stuff – especially when you mix meat with fish!! it just smells wrong to me.
    I can eat just about anything – chinese, ethiopian, french, portuguese – but why do you nigerians have to make everything so gloopy, why do you have to use so much palm oil and why do you mix meat and fish?? Jollof rice would be nice if it didnt have a ton of palm oil in it.

I think it’s disrespectful to question the hows and whys of another culture. If you don’t like something, the best thing to do would be to avoid all things associated with it and not make sweeping generalizations.

• Bosslady says:

Yetty honey, Hi 5 on your response! :) Keep the recipes coming. Trust me your site has been a blessing and I’ve learned much from it and recommended it to friends & family. Those hands of yours are blessed and no one can ever take away your shine!! My dear ignore such negative comments from….u know who *cough cough*

Hey there!

Thanks for your comments! I’m glad the site has been of help to you and many thanks for recommending it to your friends and family, I appreciate that. My sister, thanks you o, a big AMEN to that ;)

• Bosslady says:

Mr Why, I think your comment is OUT of ORDER! Who’re you to make judgments on what a Nigerian chooses to mix in his or her food and its appearance. If you don’t like it and can’t have an open mind about our culture, then take your comments somewhere else where the sun don’t shine. KMT!!!!

27. Cleopatra says:

“Mr Why” Were you forced to eat Nigerian food?!? Why are you even on this website is more of a reasonable question than the dumb comment you have on here. You are not forced to eat the food, and even more, don’t research on food that you’re not planning on eating and has absolutely nothing to do with you. I’d suggest you go get a life!

Hey Cleopatra,

Thanks for responding! <3 I bet s/he’ll learn not to make such ignorant comments again

28. Olaide says:

Mr why, I think it’s very rude of you to come on here and make such remark, I believe everyone’s got a right to their opinion, but some are best kept to oneself. You don’t have to like or agree with every culture but at least learn to tolerate them and educate yourself. If were not so ignorant, you’d know that palm oil isn’t the major ingredient that gives jollof rice its colour/richness but a matter of preference for some people of which to my knowledge is a very small number of people.

Live,Learn and Love (TOLERATE).

Hey Olaide!

Tell that wo/man some truth! Thanks o jare <3

29. Bukky says:

Yetunde, what are you doing to me? My mouth is WATERING like no man’s business because Ogbono soup was a firm favourite growing up in Lagos. It pains me to say this but these recipes of yours are the only times I wonder if being a non-meat eater is such a good idea for a born and bred Nigerian like me! Why you may ask? Because when I spend too long on your website, I start to wonder whether maybe living in this cold European country has turned my head O! It is not easy I tell you when all of these delicious postings of yours instantly transport me back to my homeland. I never realised just how much memories of ‘home’ is tied up with food for me until a few years back…

Anyway, you see how you distract me! I only popped in to look for a recipe for Obe (sans Eran) so I am disappearing pronto and no, I shall not be looking at the tempting pictures above at all at all ;)

Hey Bukky!

Lol, oh no, never my intention ;) I’m glad though, that the recipes transport you back home. You can make the recipes without meat, I don’t know any Nigerian vegetarians, but that’s not to say there are none, so just modify the recipes to suit you- sans animal flesh.

Oh no, don’t leave, what shall I do without the first Nigerian I know to be vegetarian huh?! :)

• Bukky says:

You know what, I am going to step up to the challenge. Abi, what is the worst that can go wrong but I burn it! Luckily I live on the fringes of an ethnic area (note I said ethnic not ghetto lol) so can easily pop out in the morning and pick up the ingredients needed for this. I promise to report back! I might even pick myself up some hard food flour whilst I am out otherwise it will be accompanied by rice…

Step all the way up! You live and learn, so go in that kitchen and make it work. Lol, oookay ;) Looking forward to reading how it goes. Rice goes with e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g in my books, I eat it pretty much everyday *sigh*

• Bukky says:

Plate on lap and I have to say it is inedible :(

I think I messed up by adding bitter leaf and too much of it (don’t ask me why I even added it in the first place…) I also added some spinach. Gosh, I hate to say it but what if I am just a sucky Nigerian cook because I swear I am noted to be a really good cook. And I hardly added much palm oil after the disastrous Efo incident I reported back a few weeks ago.

I feel a bit sad but I am going to give stew another go tomorrow. Surely I cannot possibly mess that up especially as I *almost* got it perfect last week.

Off to drown my sorrow in supermalt. And if that doesn’t abate my sadness, there is a couple of bottles of Nigerian stout in the fridge!

As they would say in the movies “Yetunde, the problem is not you…it’s me” hee hee

p.s I bought enough ingredients for a few attempts so will give it another try – minus bitter leaf – when the ego has recovered.

Messing up is a part of learning! Don’t make me reach through the screen somehow and shake your shoulders, I was rooting for you *cue dramatic song* lol. You can add green vegetables to it, just in small quantities, so say a handful of spinach and a sprinkling of bitterleaf. No such thing as a sucky cook, it’s all trial and error and the will to succeed.

No need to feel sad, dust yourself off and try again, you can totally do it. Don’t let that supermalt go to your waistline now ;) Stout tastes that cigarette ashes and water, I can’t, so you can drink that all by your wonderful self, thanks.

Lol, give it another go, give it another go, I’m confident you’ll get it. Keep me posted, I’d like to know your progress <3

30. John Kinyua says:

mmmh…………. looks delicious . I saw this competition that I think you would be just the right person for! It is about creating the national dish of your country. What would you say that is for Nigeria?? Would be awesome if you could be the representative for our country :) Here’s more info about it: http://www.slideshare.net/IngredientMatcher/competition-from-ingredient-matcher-cook-your-national-dish-25773568: And here’s their facebook page:

Hey John!

Thanks for thinking of me for that, amazing idea, but I think I’ll pass on this one :)

31. elena says:

am oyinbo n i eat eba wit my hands.
    Me i make first the ogbono soup n after i add the meat. I think is easier. But i like it.

Hey Elena!

Whatever works for you is what I like to preach!

Thanks.