Weekly Nigerian Meal Planner

August 10, 2010 | 82 Comments

This Weekly Nigerian Meal Planner is to help plan meals for the week. Some like to plan ahead and cook everything for one week over the weekend and not have to worry about cooking during the week, while others go with the flow and cook in the week or whenever is needed or better yet, order take out!

These are general guidelines on creating a meal plan for the week with emphasis on consuming a considerable amount of fruits and vegetables. You can take the basic meal planner and tweak it as you see fit to fit your schedule and lifestyle. There are two meal planners in this post: one for readers in Nigeria and the other for readers in the U.S, U.K, Canada and elsewhere overseas. You can take elements from both to create your own if you’d like and if ingredients are readily available in your neck of the woods, you’re also free to substitute one for the other. You can also find most of the recipes on our site.

BREAKFAST SNACK LUNCH SNACK DINNER SNACK
MONDAY Quaker Oats w/ a cup of tea/coffee Any fruit in season Amala w/ Fish stew & Ewedu. Water to drink Any fruit in season Boiled/ Baked Sweet Potatoes w/ meat stew Cereal w/ skim milk OR a Granola bar
TUESDAY Akara & Ogi (Baba-the brown Ogi) Any fruit in season Fufu w/ Efo Riro (vegetable stew). Water to drink Fruit Salad Rice w/ Efo Riro (vegetable stew) Cereal w/ skim milk OR  a granola bar
WEDNESDAY Boiled Eggs & Bread. Cup of tea/coffee Any fruit in season Jollof Rice & Dodo (fried plantain) w/ meat or chicken stew Chin Chin Eko w/ meat or chicken stew Cereal w/ skim milk OR  a granola bar
THURSDAY Bread & stew. Cup of tea/coffee Any fruit in season Iyan (pounded yam) w/ Egusi stew. Water to drink Fruit Salad Boiled Plantains w/ meat or chicken stew OR vegetable stew Cereal w/ skim milk OR  a granola bar
FRIDAY Quaker Oats w/ a cup of tea/coffee Any fruit in season White Rice w/ moi moi & stewed fish or fried meat/chicken. Soft Drink/ Mineral. Boli (roast plantain) w/ groundnuts Regular Beans OR Ewa Aganyin  w/ chicken stew. Cereal w/ skim milk OR  a granola bar
SATURDAY Boiled Yam w/ geisha or corned beef stew. Cup of tea/coffee Any fruit in season Ikokore w/ meat/chicken stew. Water to drink. Meat/Chicken Pies Fried Rice w/ coleslaw, fried chicken. Fruit Juice. Cereal w/ skim milk OR  a granola bar
SUNDAY Boiled Yam w/ fried eggs, stew & sausages. Cup of tea/coffee Any fruit in season Semolina OR Amala w/ Ogbonno & Bitter Leaf stew Fruit Salad Tuwo (ground rice) w/ meat stew Cereal w/ skim milk OR  a granola bar
BREAKFAST SNACK LUNCH SNACK DINNER SNACK
MONDAY Instant Quaker Oats w/ a cup of tea Small Smoothie Jollof Rice & Dodo (fried plantain) w/ meat or chicken stew Fruit Salad Boiled/ Baked Sweet Potatoes w/ meat stew Cereal w skim milk OR a Granola bar. Water to drink.
TUESDAY ½ a Bagel or a mini bagel w/ light cream cheese. Cup of tea/coffee 1 cup mixed fruits/nuts Asaro w/ goat meat/chicken stew. Water to drink Fruit Salad Rice w/ Efo Riro (vegetable stew) Cereal w skim milk OR a Granola bar. Water to drink.
WEDNESDAY Scrambled Eggs w/sausages. Cup of tea/coffee Any fruit in season White Rice & Ayamashe. Water to drink. Fruit Salad Noodles w/ meat or chicken stew & a boiled egg Cereal w skim milk OR a Granola bar. Water to drink.
THURSDAY Bread & stew. Cup of tea/coffee. Granola Bar Iyan (pounded yam) w/ Egusi stew. Water to drink Fruit Salad Boiled Plantains w/ meat or chicken stew OR vegetable stew. Water to drink Cereal w skim milk OR a Granola bar. Water to drink.
FRIDAY Instant Quaker Oats w/ a cup of tea/coffee Any fruit in season Rice w/fish stew.  Soda or juice. Fruit Salad Spaghetti w/ chicken stew. Water to drink. Cereal w skim milk OR a Granola bar. Water to drink.
SATURDAY Pancakes or Crepes w/ sausages. Cup of tea/coffee. Any fruit in season Eba w/ Okra soup (and meat/chicken stew). Water to drink. Meat/Chicken Pies Fried Rice w/ coleslaw, fried chicken. Juice. Cereal w skim milk OR a Granola bar. Water to drink.
SUNDAY Boiled Yam w/ fried eggs, stew & sausages. Cup of tea/coffee Any fruit in season Beans w/ chicken stew. Water to drink. Fruit Salad Fried Plantains w/ vegetable stew. Water to drink Cereal w skim milk OR a Granola bar. Water to drink.

1. After having dinner, try snacking on something light if you still feel hungry, more so if you’re concerned about your weight.
  2. Soda, juice and the like, (as much as they taste good!) are usually loaded with sugar and hence, empty liquid calories, so substitute for water where possible and if you’re one who doesn’t like the ‘taste’ of water, try adding lemon/lime/cucumber slices for a subtle change in taste.
  3. If you do decide to eat cereal after dinner, ensure that it’s not one loaded with sugar.
  4. Though some days might call for meals like Eba or Iyan (pounded yam), it doesn’t mean you should eat mountains and mountains of it (till you feel the need to make a slit in your side so your stomach can ‘breathe,’ lol)! Eat everything in moderation.

Rating: 7.6/10 (75 votes cast)
Weekly Nigerian Meal Planner, 7.6 out of 10 based on 75 ratings

82 Responses to "Weekly Nigerian Meal Planner"

1. Mercy says:

Yetunde,

Thanks for the meal planner; it is of great help. God bless!

Hey Mercy!

Glad you find it helpful :) Thank you and God bless you too!

2. Abidemi says:

Hey Yetunde,

I just discovered your site and I just wanted you to know that you are amazing! Thank you so much for this resource. God bless!

Bidemi

Hey Abidemi!

Aww, thank you SO much! :)))

3. marie says:

Can I refer to u as an angel cos u r indeed one.thank u so much for ur beautiful recipes.They r a blessing in my life

Hey Marie!

Aww, thank you! Glad the recipes are of help to you :)

4. oluwanifemi says:

You are a Godsent. You just lifted a very headvy burden off my chest. God bless you

Hey Oluwanifemi! (I love your name!)

Aww, wow, thank you, I’m almost speechless. Glad you’re finding the site helpful, please feel free to ask questions if you’re stumped on any of the recipes.

5. Olaoluwa says:

I am a guy in search of a solution to my family’s brainstorming sessions on what to eat with our busy schedules. I am so grateful that we have someone who cares about the needs of others. My wife will be so proud of me when i show her this website. Thank you so much.

Hey Olaoluwa!

Aww, thank you so much! I really appreciate it and I’m glad that you’re finding the site to be of help to you and your family.

If you have questions on any of the recipes, please don’t hesitate to let me know :)

• Meg says:

Hey Yetunde,

Fantastic plan! You have solved everyday problems for many and definitely added value to our lives. My problem has always been how to vary the food i eat everyday. Now i have many options to choose from. Thanks for your help! God bless you with more creativity.

Hey Meg!

Aww, thank you! I’m glad you’re finding the planner helpful. Amen to that!

• Kazeem says:

Yetunde,

Olaoluwa’s case applies to me and I’m sure millions of Nigerian families especially with respect to meal planning…

There is nothing that pisses me off like having to think about what food to eat and you have just made my life easy…

Many thanks.

Kazeem

Hey Kazeem!

I think most of us can relate to having to figure out what to eat, which is baffling especially when there is food to be eaten! I’m glad it worked out for you though, you’re most welcome!

6. Blesgn says:

Hello,
    This really came wen i needed it most, my husband jst asked me to mk a meal plan, cos he wuz tired of me askin him wat he wanted to eat everydai for da pass 5yrs… ( Funny isnt it?) Well tanx to u i now av a meal plan…. Cant wait to show him this evenin when he gets home…
    Ps: although der r some meals i av no idea wat they are …. But in all a very big HELP i must say!…
    THANX LOTS…

Hey!!

Lol, that’s hilarious actually! Glad you found the planner to be of help. Feel free to ask me questions on any of the recipes.

You’re welcome!

7. WUNMI says:

thanks for the above plan
    please sir can you get me diet plan for weight loss in Nigeria i need it badly sir

Hey Wunmi!

I’m actually a female! :) There is no diet plan per se, it’s more of watching what you eat, especially with carbohydrates like yam, bread, rice, eba etc. More fruits, vegetables, water and less meat. You can replace meat with chicken, turkey or fish.

These are changes that have to be consistent, so more of a lifestyle change, otherwise, if you do lose the weight, you could gain it back just as easily.

8. franky says:

U r so wonderful to I must confess n u really u really granted my hus demand 4 me 2 ve a meal plan instead of repeating meals unnecessarily

Hey Franky!

Aww, thank you! :) I’m glad you developed a meal plan based on the site, I love that! Care to share what the meal plan is?

9. Grace says:

Yetunde receive my E-hug girl!!!

Thanks a million!!
    Where can i find the akara recipe!!
    The word out is that your akara is bananas!!

Looking forward!

Smooches! :-)

Hey Grace!

E-Hug received and sent right back! You’re most welcome! Lol, I like that! The Akara recipe is here and other recipes can be found on the visual index page.

Hope to see more comments from you!

10. Lateefah says:

Hi yety, i jst discover ds website. It’s a gr8t job you are doin here. Keep it up

Hey Lateefah!

Thank you! Glad you’re enjoying it. Hope to see more comments from you :)

11. Lucy says:

Thanks for the planner. I am pregnant and was looking for a Nigerian meal planner as I am not a great eater and this is an answer to my eating habit.

Hey Lucy!

You’re most welcome! Hope the planner helps! Congrats and good luck on your pregnancy!

12. Wafiyyah says:

Just stumbled over ur web page & i think its going to be of great help 2 me cos no more brain racking over what meal 2 take.

Hey Wafiyyah!

I’m glad you stumbled across it! I think it’ll be of help to you as well and if you ever have questions while trying the recipes, please don’t hesitate to let me know!

13. Crystal says:

Great site. The meal planner is great too, but eating stew EVERYDAY……! Naahh.

14. Obi martins says:

My name is obi thanks am very grateful for the menu god bless you

Hey Obi!

Aww, you’re most welcome, thank you and Amen! God bless you too! :)

15. chichi says:

Hi Yetunde,
    Thanx for the menu, its quite helpful, can u please give me a 5days meal plan for kids lunch at school, as school is about 2 resume i need 2 organise myself b4 than.
    Chichi

Hey Chichi!

You’re welcome, glad you’re finding it helpful. I can add that to my requested recipes, I can’t promise it will be posted before school resumes, but I’ll keep it near the top of my list :)

16. oluwasemilore says:

I really found dis handdy,as my husband is sick of me asking what to make and personally can’t decide what to eat as am not a very big eater but i gat a problem cos ma husband is a typical africsn man that belives he shld fil his apetite since we dnt eat lunch so what can be shoveled into foods like oat.

Hey Oluwasemilore!

Are you asking for lunch ideas or dinner ideas, I’m a bit confused, or is it breakfast ideas, since you reference oats?

17. Kemi says:

Hellooooooooooooooo,
    surprised i’m jst stumbling on a lot today!!! love love love!!! dis meal planner bt dere’s a nag to it for me. My hubby is not choosy(lucky me)! but he does not take oats, custard, pap or pancake!!! and u’ll agree with me that it’s not easy fixing 2 kinda breakfast everyday and i really want to av a meal planner cos i rili do run outta ideas on what to cook at taims. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lol, stumble on! I can work on a revised version, but I won’t have it ready for another month. In the interim, there is bread, cereal, fruit and scrambled eggs etc…

18. nora izuora says:

please i need a complete weekly Nigerian meal planner for a 4 years old kid

Hey Nora!

I will add it to my requested list. I can’t give an estimated date of delivery though, but I’ll keep it foremost in mind…

19. linda says:

hi Yetunde,
    I love this piece so much and its been very helpful to my family. could you pls do that of kids?.keep your good work up and God bless.

Hey Linda!

Thanks, I’m actually planning to do one in the coming year.

20. Ladysusie says:

This is nice……, i have a fortnightly meal planner with a mixture of english food (for the kids) which my husband may not eat, that takes me back to square 2 cos i need to think of something for him.
    This naija meal planner is really lovely but can you make one for two weeks………

Thanks

Hey Ladysusie!

Thanks. I will add it to my list!

21. kenny says:

may God bless you and your generation mightily for this.
    but i didn’t see moimoi. is there anything wrong with it?

Hey Kenny!

Aww, thanks so much, I really appreciate that. Nope, nothing wrong with the recipe, you can find it here.

22. Kate says:

Thank you so much. I really appreciate you sharing this with us. It is very help.
    However, I am 15weeks pregnant, can I also use this plan. or could you please draw up Plan for Preggys like us.
    Thank you.

Hey Kate!

You’re most welcome. I’m always glad to be of help. Congrats on your pregnancy!! I have no kids yet, so I’m not sure what a pregnant lady’s diet should be like, but I will confer with my mom and sister and work on a plan for those expecting.

23. Enocks Coleman says:

thank you so so much, this has been what i was looking for all along… thanks

Hey Enocks!

You’re most welcome! Glad to be of help…

24. Yinka says:

Hi,
    Am glad i found your website. Its very informative and educative. Well done!!!

Hey Yinka!

Thanks, glad you found it too :) Hope to see more comments from you!

25. Winnie says:

I just discovered your website a few weeks ago and I am in love!! lol. I am a Nigerian who has lived abroad for most of my life. I love our food but im not that great at preparing it. Your website is exactly what I needed. Thank you for putting it together.

Hey Winnie!

Aww, yay! Welcome to our food loving community! You’re most welcome, feel free to ask questions if you get stuck on any of the recipes :)

26. Ekene says:

i just saw your website and i love your recipes. i would like to ask if you have weekly meal planners for weightloss. i stay in nigeria and i am looking for an effective meal plan to help me in losing weight

Hey Ekene!

I love that you love it! I don’t have any currently, but here’s a comment I wrote in response to someone who asked the same question on Facebook:

“For carbs, I’d stay opt for complex carbs, so instead of white rice all the time, substitute it with ofada rice, which is closer to a whole grain form of rice. You can also use brown rice. Garri, I’d eat in moderation, so perhaps, once every couple of months and instead substitute with plantain flour. Yam is also good in moderation, so perhaps for breakfast twice a month on the weekends, if that’s easier. Try switching out white bread for brown or whole grain bread. Avoid refined and highly processed foods, eat less fried/oily foods, cut back on palm oil in soups/stews, eat more green vegetables and lots of fruits and water. Follow the 80/20 rule: 80% of the time, you’ll eat properly, but the other 20% accounts for times when you eat out and you’re not so much in control of the cooking. Hope that helps!”

27. Iree says:

Thank very much for these recipes, I am newly married and also work late. This would be a guide our my meals now. Thumbs up.

Hey Iree!

You’re welcome! Let me know how they work out for you. Thanks!

28. Bumshasha says:

Hi, thanks for the time table, really helpfull cos sometimes I get tired of preparing normals. Now, I need one more favour, Im a pregy going to 20 weeks, can you also give me a time table for the best nigerian foods and fruits to eat while pregnant, I want to be healthy (Im yoruba) Thanks

Hey!

You’re most welcome! Congrats on the pregnancy! I have no kids myself, so I wouldn’t know, but will ask my mum and sister and get back to you.

29. Bamidele says:

What of children meal plan, are they going to eat same thing with adult?

Hey Bamidele!

It would depend on their age, older children could probably eat the same as adults. Younger children, will obviously need a modified plan to go with their growing systems.

30. Bamidele says:

ok, i mean younger children btw age 3-7 years

I have no kids yet, so I’d have to ask my mum and sister and get back to you.

31. funke says:

kudos to you! pls i need a weekly nigerian meal planner for children b/w 3 and 7 years?

Hey Funke!

This is one I plan to work on soon, so hang tight!

32. Temitope says:

U did a great job with da meal plan cos these days its getting harder being creative about what to eat.Thumbs up

33. Mz Strauss says:

hello Yety,
    this is an interesting piece even as far back as it dates, i and my fiance who is U.K based, have longed searched for a table to follow and this is great.
    A quick question yer, due to the kind of work i do i am sure of omitting lunch, so how i compensate lunch?
    waiting on your response, thanks.
    keep it UP!

Hey there!

Thanks! If you often skip lunch, you can compensate by eating a healthy, yet filling breakfast and perhaps having some fruit for lunch. Fruit that you can eat on the go, like bananas, apples etc, that don’t require prep work.

34. okoro says:

tanx for this piece, was really helpful, but i’d appreciate a tip for the little ones. stay blessed.

Hey Okoro!

You’re welcome! I plan to work on that…

35. oyeyinka says:

Seriously maam this is a whao, a big answer to my 5pm question, but please kindly help out with the kiddy diet, thats lke very bothering cos i have a three year old, cant wait maam. God bless U.

Hey Oyeyinka!

Sorry o, no vex! I have to consult my sis and mom for the kiddy diet, still working on it…

Thanks for your patience ;)

36. Elizabeth Joseph says:

Thanks a lot for this. My daughter’s project was to draw a meal plan for a week. Though I have one pasted on the kitchen door, decided to just surf the net. Will make some adjustments on mine. God bless you big.

Hey Elizabeth!

Glad you found it to work for you. Hope it’s been working out well.

37. Elizabeth Joseph says:

Thanks a lot for this. My daughter’s project included making a meal plan for a week. Though I have one pasted on the kitchen door, I decided to check online. I will definitely make some adjustments on mine. God bless you big.

Glad it came in handy!

38. Charles Emmanuel says:

Hi Yetunde, I just discovered your site and it is awesome. I have been looking for such meal planner for my family. Please, i need a weight loss daily schedule for myself to reduce my belly. Thanks

Hey Charles!

Thanks, I’m glad you like the site and are benefiting from it. For weight loss, it’s really about a lifestyle change not so much a diet. If you’re able to drink half your body weight in water daily, cut out processed foods and eat more leafy greens and fresh fruits and learn to stop eating once you feel full, the weight will gradually drop off.

Give it a try and keep me posted ;)

39. ATOB says:

Thank you. You are God Sent.

And you’re a God sent reader, thanks for reading!