Puff Puff

August 9, 2010 | 176 Comments

Puff Puff

Puff Puff is a deep fried Nigerian snack made from flour, yeast, sugar, water. It is a soft, almost pillowy yet chewy snack. Puff Puff is not to be confused with ‘Buns,’ which is a richer Nigerian snack, due to the addition of eggs and milk. Puff Puff is very basic, no fancy pants there!

It’s incredibly easy to make, even if its your first time making it!

To make Puff Puff, here’s what you’ll need:

Prep Time: 5 Mins (to 1hr) Cook Time: 5 Minutes Difficulty: Easy Serves: 6

Puff Puff Ingredients

1. Add all dry ingredients to a bowl and mix

2. Add water in increments, stirring/mixing as you go along. It should have a stretchy, elastic, cake batter consistency (mix thoroughly).

3. Cover with napkins & put in an unheated oven to rise for 1-2 hours

It should look like this after its risen:

4. Mix some more, then pre-heat oil in a deep fryer

5. Use hands or a rounded spoon to scoop mixture into oil

6. Test oil temperature by dropping in a spoonful of batter. Once it turns dark golden brown, its hot enough!

7. Add spoonfuls of batter to oil, avoid overcrowding

8. Once underside turns dark golden brown, flip it (1-2 mins per side)

9. Once done, put on a plate lined with paper towel to drain oil

Puff Puff

And you’re done!

Puff Puff

Puff Puff
(Puff Puff Texture Shot – No Flash)

Puff Puff Texture
(Puff Puff Texture Shot with Flash)

1. The consistency of the batter is really important; it shouldn’t be too thick or too thin, before you count to two, it should drop back down if you hold some up with a spoon. It’s stretchy, almost like an elastic.
  2. Taste wise, once your batter has risen, you should be able to tell by smell if it’ll taste good. You’ll just have to trust me on this one! The risen batter should smell like it’s been cooked and ready to eat.
  3. If you want to skimp or add more sugar, you can taste the batter before putting it away to rise, to see if it’s sweet enough. Don’t eat a teaspoonful now, just dip your finger in it and taste!
  4. Once the oil is hot enough and you drop the batter in, it should float up almost immediately, always test one to get the right temperature.
  5. When you flip some of the Puff Puff while frying, it might just flip right back to the side it was previously on, so you could either try to hold those ones down with your turner or just leave it be. This often accounts for some Puff Puff having a lighter side to them, doesn’t affect the taste though!
  6. You don’t have to use Canola Oil, feel free to use Vegetable Oil, Corn oil or a mix of oils.
  7. You can substitute granulated white sugar for dark or light brown sugar, honey or agave nectar, though you might have to a tad more of the honey/nectar to get the sweetness just right. You’d also want to cut back on the water just a tiny bit, since honey/nectar are liquids.
  8. Puff Puff can be incredibly greasy and there’s really no other way around that, it’s got to be deep frying! You could squeeze it in a paper towel and flatten it, but that would take away from the joy of eating it as is! Just be sure not to eat it everyday or even every week!

Rating: 8.3/10 (104 votes cast)
Puff Puff, 8.3 out of 10 based on 104 ratings

176 Responses to "Puff Puff"

1. Adeyosola says:

I’ve been looking for a recipe; this is my first time actually :) Best recipe I’ve found so far! Brilliant, clear, easy to follow instructions, pictures make everything even that much simpler to follow. The ones in the pictures look perfect :D thanks!!

Hey Adeyosola!

Glad you came across the site then! Thank you, thank you and thank you!

Keep me posted on your outcome! :)

2. Adenike says:

i really love all what am seeing here yetty mama may God continue to bless u more

Hey Adenike!

Nice! Glad you’re liking what you see. Amen and thank you!

3. Linda says:

Can I replace yeast powder with baking powder or beer because I feel like preparing this right away and I do not have yeast powder in my house at the moment

Hey Linda!

I don’t think either of those ingredients you mentioned will give you the required result and as such, I can’t recommend that you use them. A quick store run will rectify the problem ;)

4. Renai says:

Heyy,,
    I Havent Got Yeast Powder At The Moment
    Will I Be Able To Use Self Raising Flour ? :s
    - Thanks

Hey Renai!

Grr! I don’t think self raising flour alone would give the results you seek. Take a trip to the store already! ;)

5. chika says:

hi yetunde,
    i want to try making puffpuff but i dont know if it will be ok for me to make it with just self raising flour[dats all i've got now lol].and not adding yeast.i just want to see how it goes.what do you think?would it be necessary to add yeast since am using the self raising flour?thanks darling.

Hey Chika!

I would still recommend adding yeast. The joy of Puff Puff is in the puffiness, which comes from yeast. So even though self raising flour might work on it’s own, I have reservations and can’t wholly recommend it by itself.

You’ll prefer your Puff Puff with yeast!

6. Adeola says:

You have rili done a good job,I just made it from your recipie and it tastes fantastic….Thank you

Hey Adeola!

Thank you! I love that you loved it ;)

You’re welcome!

7. Oluchi says:

Thanks a lot for this easy to follow recipe. Will let you know the outcome once I make it.

Hey Oluchi!

I’d love to know the outcome!Hey Oluchi!

8. Yemmie says:

Its so easy nd straight foward.thanks nd i wl sure tel u d outcome wn am done.thanks a million.

Hey Yemmie!

You’re welcome! Remember to keep me posted~

9. Tosine says:

Please Yetty, can i get a recipe for egg buns?

10. Demi says:

Hi yetunde, I’m a student in d hostel in naija and I don’t av an oven o! Where can I leave it to rise?

Hey Demi!

Lol, you’d have to improvise then! So just cover it up and put it in a warm area, so on top of the fridge or a cupboard could be an example, basically you want an area that is free of drafts of air.

11. Olubunmi Lawal says:

Hello. Just finished frying puff puff for the first time ever. It turned out nicely. Thanks. Keep up the good work.

Hey Olubunmi!

Yay! Good for you, glad it came out well for your first time! You’re welcome, I plan to ;)

12. cravings says:

Nice page,jus stumbled on it three days ago n i must confess, u r doing a wonderful job.

13. buki says:

Hi, yetunde. U’re doing a great job. i enjoyed d turnout of ds puff puff recipe. Thank u. Pls can u help me out with a jammy doughnut recipe? i crave for those very soft and stretchy ones like d ones at fast food outlets. i just never get them quite right. They either tear or break but i need them to stretch. Pls, pls help me! Its a culinary SOS.

Hey Buki!

Thank you! Glad the puff puff came out well. I know what you speak of, I used to love them from Mr. Biggs years ago, with the sugar sprinkled on the top that made it all sticky sweet! I’ve never made it before, but I can try, when I perfect it, I’ll be sure to post.

Ha! I love culinary SOS, have to use that sometime ;)

14. Ada says:

Hey great site. What if I want to go commercial selling puff puff how do I get the right measurements for the ingredients? In your own personal opinion will I make good money selling. Thank you

Hey Ada,

I’ve never made Puff Puff for large scale commercial purposes before and as such don’t have measurements for that. However, if you plan on going commercial, you should always try a test batch to sell and always go in increments. So, if for Monday, you make enough for 10 people, double it the next time for 20 people and so on.

That said, you could start with 4 cups of flour and 2-3 cups of water and gauge the consistency and go up from there. You should be able to make money from selling Puff Puff, however, it’s important to be consistent in the taste every time. So, you’d have to perfect your recipe, so that it tastes the same each and every time that you make it. Also, customer service goes a long way in getting new and repeat customers.

Keep me posted and Good Luck!

15. Aishat says:

Nice work sweetie, u make my day. Wish 2 know other recipes jst 2 save my family. I’m happy 2 knw about dis.

Hey Aishat!

Aww, thanks! Stay tuned, more recipes to come…

16. 'Made says:

Thank you sooooo much for this recipe. I have tried several recipes and it was a disaster. This was perfect and we loved it. I added some onions and it worked fine. Thanks again. xoxo

Hey ‘Made!

You’re most welcome! Well, you have a sure proof recipe now, so no more disasters for you! I haven’t tried adding onions before, when I think of adding onions, I always just think of Ojojo.

Glad you liked it though!

17. deborah says:

Hello, thank you for sharing with me. I’m so inspired. I did as u said but it did not rise for over 2 hours, why is it lik that? Thanks and God bless you

Hey Deborah!

You’re welcome! If it didn’t rise, try proofing your yeast to see if it’s still fresh. Add it to a bit of warm water and if it foams/bubbles, it’s fine. If it doesn’t, you might need to purchase some more yeast.

18. Ayodeji. O says:

Quick crazy question – do you have any idea what would happen if the puff puff batter (a batch of it) were to be baked?

Having never done this before, it obviously would not yield the same results as frying. However, I imagine if you did it in small batches as with frying, it would brown on the outside, perhaps rise a bit and I doubt it would have the signature round shape associated with Puff Puff.

I’d instead recommend baking the entire batter in a pan and then cutting the finished product into squares. So, you’d bake at maybe 400-425 degrees for 10-15 mins.

Have you considered frying with coconut oil?

I’d love to know how it turns out, so keep me posted!

19. deborah says:

Hello, I tried it again but this time around it was not up to 30mins the dough had risen so I decided to fry but it came out flat and crunchy. It didn’t have that foamy texture. Where did I go wrong? Thanks for your reply.

Hey Deborah!

Sorry it didn’t come out right! Try letting it rise completely for the full half hour. If it appears to have risen before 30 minutes, mix it and cover it back up again till the allotted time is up.

Since it did rise, it doesn’t seem to be a yeast issue. Give it another and let me know how that works out.

Good luck!

20. Toyin says:

I usually add one egg so it does not absorb oil when I’m frying.

Hey Toyin!

Thanks for the suggestion!

21. Viv says:

Hi Yetty I luv d way ur puff luks, I hav tried severaly bt d outcom has always bin disastrous am obviously usin a wrong measurement. Pls can I get d measurement in grammes cus wen u say cup I reali don’t know d exact size of cup 2 use. Tnx

Hey Viv!

Sorry it hasn’t been turning out right! Puff Puff making can be trial and error for some, so don’t give up just yet. 1 cup is 110 grams, so 2 cups will be about 220 grams.

Hope that helps and good luck next time, keep me posted!

22. Funmi says:

I love wat am seeing here,d last time i tried it,d inside was thick,i didn‘t enjoy it,where did i miss it.

Hey Funmi!

I love that you love what you’re seeing here! If the inside was thick, your batter was probably too thick, perhaps too much flour?

23. Ronke says:

Love your website. I have tried different websites here and everything has turned out great! I will try the puff puff recipe and let you know how it goes:)

Hey Ronke!

Thanks hun, glad you’re enjoying it :) Keep me posted!

24. victoria says:

Hi yetty, ◦-†нªηк’s-◦ a bunch, good description U̶̲̥̅̊ ‘ve got on ur web page. I haven’t made puff in a longggg while, so I wasn’t sure of the recipe and procedures. ◦-†нªηк’s-◦ I have a good smelling batter here. It smells like d puff puff is already made. I’m going to deef fry to get my full round and bouncy shape.thanks

Hey Victoria!

You’re welcome! Hope it came out as good as it smelled

25. lateefah says:

Cant blv it wen i made puff F☺я̩̥̊ d first time…wt d help of U̶̲̥̅̊я̅ recipe of course.my son was alwys cying F☺я̩̥̊ puff puff α̲̅πϑ it really broke my hrt dt i cdnt make it since i don’t lik buying frm puff vendors…i evn made buns.thank U̶̲̥̅̊ F☺я̩̥̊ bringin smile to his face….wish i cd send U̶̲̥̅̊ a pics of him munching it,he looked sooo hapi n he kept tellin hs frnds “mumy made puff puff” ⌣»̶·̵̭̌·̵̭̌✽̤̈̊Ŧђɑ̤̥̈̊п̥̥̲̣̣̣kƨ̣̣̣̇̇̇̇✽̤̈̊·̵̭̌·̵̭̌«̶⌣soooooo much.muah!!!!

Hey Lateefah!

Yay for you! Congrats on your success ;) Make it again and take photos of your son eating, I’d love to see! You’re most welcome

26. Yetunde says:

Hello Yetunde,

I made puff puff! I am so proud of myself. Everyone in my house LOVED it. Next try is jam doughnut. Thank you for this blog & may you not run out of pot to cook. Can i share?

Hey namesake!

Aww, yay, you should be proud of yourself. In turn, I’m proud of you! My sister, amen and AMEN! You’re more than welcome to share ;)

27. Angela Ejem says:

Have Triε̲̣̣̣̥d making tis puff puff wit someone. else recipe it ended up flat infact complete disaster but your recipe just worked perfect am happy i was able to get it at last. Tnk ʊ so mU̶̲̥̅̊ch fO̶̷̩̥̊͡Я U̶̲̥̅̊Я teaching. Pls help me wit more tips ve Triε̲̣̣̣̥d making coconut candy wit another persons recipe it didn’τ̲̅ stick together it ended up sooo dry. Ve also Triε̲̣̣̣̥d wit ʊ won recipe the first attempt the sugar got burnt, Triε̲̣̣̣̥d 2nd time it didn’t stick together when cold & have already grated all the coconut i bought don’t kno what else to do. :(

Hey Angela!

Glad the puff puff recipe worked for you! For the coconut candy, the sugar has to still be slightly hot, but just enough to handle with bare hands. If it’s not sticking together, the problem usually is with the sugar and sometimes, if the grated coconut is too moist, that could be the culprit, so if the coconut feels wet, try squeezing it with some napkins/paper towels to squeeze out the excess liquid.

Try that and keep me posted on how it works…

28. Grace says:

thanks for the recipe. Quick question: why is it that sometimes the outside browns quickly but the inside is barely cooked? Does it have to do with the temperature of the oil?

Thanks

Hey Grace!

You’re welcome hun! Yes, you’re right! The temperature of the oil is probably too hot and browns the outside, leaving the inside, still gooey. I always recommend you do a drop test in the oil before frying the bulk of it, just to make sure it’s at the right temperature.

29. Temmy says:

Please yetty my puffpuff is kind of crunchy on the outer part. Please y is this so?

Hey Temmy!

If it’s too crunchy on the outside, the oil might be too hot and cooking the outside faster than the rest of the puff puff. Try doing a drop test, before frying the rest of the batter.