Citrus Chili Chicken

February 11, 2010 | 10 Comments

I wanted to cook some chicken drumsticks but wanted to do so a tad differently from how I normally bake/cook chicken. Initially, I wanted to bake it by slicing a bunch of onions and scotch bonnet peppers over the chicken and baking it in a foil pan, but I changed my mind at the last minute and winged it.

I had a bag full of dried chili peppers a friend gave me, so I worked the rest of the seasonings around that. Based on the main ingredients, I hemmed and hawed on a title and ultimately decided to call it ‘Citrus Chili Chicken!’

To make citrus chili chicken, here’s what you’ll need:

7 chicken drumsticks (you see 6, I already ate 1 for good measure ;~)
Handful dried chili peppers
2 scotch bonnet peppers (habaneros work too)
6 garlic cloves
1/2 s red onion
2 knorr cubes
1 tbsp Goya Adobo seasoning
1/2 cup canola oil (vegetable oil works too)
1.5 lemons
2 limes
1/2 tsp Turbinado raw sugar (brown or white sugar works too)

1. Rinse chicken, set aside.

2. Soak dried chili peppers in a bowl of water to re-hydrate a bit. Squeeze lemons and limes

3. Remove seeds, add juice and roughage to blender. Chop up onions, remove dried chili from water. Add to blender with rest of ingredients (along with 1/2 cup water if needed).

4. Blend till relatively smooth (chunky works as well, up to you).

5. Put raw chicken in a bowl. Using a knife, poke holes in chicken for marinade to penetrate. Add blended marinade to bowl with chicken.

6. Let marinate in fridge covered for 30 minutes up to an hour (or more!).

7. At 25 minute mark, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Layer a baking pan with foil. Spray foil with cooking oil spray. Remove chicken from fridge. Add individual pieces to baking pan (discard any excess marinade).

8. Let bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees.

Voila!

Overall, it was a tasty dish and I succeeded in getting it to taste different from my usual baked chicken. I’ll be honest, while adding the ingredients before blending, I was a tad doubtful that it would turn out good, but alas there was no need to worry!

Despite all the dried chili peppers and scotch bonnet peppers, it still wasn’t as hot as I would’ve liked, so if you want yours hotter, I’d recommend upping the amount of scotch bonnet peppers used. It reminds me of the Jerk Chicken recipe I tried a while back and now that I look at that recipe, they are similar in a way, but I promise you I wasn’t even thinking of that recipe when I made this!

Either recipe works great with chicken though, so you have your pick! The ingredients were not too overpowering either, somehow everything balanced itself out. Serve alone or as an accompaniment to a main dish.

Rating: 5.0/10 (4 votes cast)
Citrus Chili Chicken, 5.0 out of 10 based on 4 ratings

10 Responses to "Citrus Chili Chicken"

1. nji says:

hii is it ok to use chili powder if i dont have dried chili peppers?

Hey Nji!

Yeah, it might not be as spicy, but if that’s all you have, it should be okay. You can also blend some red bell peppers etc to make the marinade.

2. abiola says:

Hi,
    I fell upon ur site while in search of how to make buns because for some reason I need a break from the typical puff puff, and I did do a trial run yest and it came out gud! So today I decided to try this recipe and all I can say is YUMMMM! I used bone in chickecn breast and modified the recipe small based on what I had in my pantry and it came out wonderful!!! As in I was eatin and yuming at the same time. Ur step by step directions is just superb. I am soooooo tryin more recipes of urs…..btw ( U must ave an amazing camera, it makes the food look so appealing and I was almost drooling on my laptop at some point) KEEP UP THE GOOD work

Hey Abiola!

Yay for you trying out recipes! I love reading that! Lol @ you eating and yumming at the same time!

Thank you, thank you and thank you! I really can’t say thank you enough, but thanks :D

Hope to see you around more!

3. anne says:

Hi im Anne from malaysia married with nigerian guy….. this its the first time im cooking coconut jollof rice …im so happy bcoz i can coooking and my husband and my husband said im good cook ing ….so thank you for the recepy
    thanks ann

Hey Anne!

Yay! Glad he enjoyed it. Keep it up!

4. oma says:

Hi,
    I love ur recipes! They are fun. Pls I have one problem
    . My oven doesn’t have an indicator as to the degrees u spoke about in most of
    Ur recipes dat has to do with baking. So when u say preheat oven to 350 degrees, how am I to do that knowing that there is no button to chose the degree
    to pre-heat to. Thanks

Hey Oma!

Thank you! Glad you’re enjoying them! Ooh, that’s kind of a tough one. Most dials are usually turned to the left to get the temperature, so, assuming yours doesn’t have the numerical indicators, but has the arrow or at least an indentation in the top of the dial, here’s what I’d recommend: when you turn the dial to the left and the indentation is laying at a straight angle or 180 degrees, that should set the temperature to about 150 degrees F, if you turn it left some more to an angle of 270 degrees, that should set the temperature to about 350 or 400 degrees F.

Hope that helps! Let me know!

5. Sheryl says:

Hi,
    Can you clarify how much water is used for this recipe. Typically, I use 2 cups of water for 1 cup of rice, however your recipe uses much less.
    thanks

Hey Sheryl!

Apologies for the delayed response. Which recipe are you referring to? I’m confused as there’s no rice for this Chicken post…

Let me know, so I can clarify.