Summer Citrus Fruit Salad

April 26, 2009 | 6 Comments

I’d been wanting to make a fruit salad for a while now and decided now would be the best time to do so, especially with the weather getting warmer.

Technically, pineapples don’t fall under citrus fruits, but this fruit salad is simply a combination of pineapples, grapefruit and oranges. What better way to load up on your vitamin C!

In the past, when I’ve made fruit salads, I always boiled sugar in some water to make the syrup, but I didn’t do that this time, I simply squeezed some of the juices so it sits in its own natural juice.

To make, here’s what you’ll need:

2 medium pineapples
5 large ruby red grapefruits
8-10 s oranges (a sack should do, more or less)

1. Cut the pineapple as follows: (see pic tutorial below). Cut top off horizontally. Stand upright, using a large knife, slice away outer covering. Lay on side, cut off bottom. Lay upright again. Cut in half. Using one half, cut sides to reveal core (the hard middle part-discard). Should give 3 slices. Cut each into thin slices. Put slices together and dice. Set aside.

2. To cut oranges and grapefruit: Cut in half straight down the middle of the center-eye. Take each half and cut down the center into another half. Remove white core/ roughage. Holding each half in your hand, use a knife to cut out fruit. On a tray, slice then dice fruit. Pour/ squeeze juice into bowl.

3. All the fruit should be cut into the same bowl. Pineapple first, grapefruit then orange. Pour juices into bowl with fruit. Mix together with a wooden spoon/salad mixer. Refrigerate for at least an hour. Serve cold.

Rating: 7.1/10 (7 votes cast)
Summer Citrus Fruit Salad, 7.1 out of 10 based on 7 ratings

6 Responses to "Summer Citrus Fruit Salad"

1. onyinye osigwe says:

I love this recipe but can use something else in place of the grape?

I used the grapefruits in there because it helped balance the sweetness of the oranges and pineapples since it’s tangy, but if you don’t like that, you can opt for any other fruit in place of that. For instance, watermelon, bananas, apples, tangerines etc. Basically, use some or all of the fruits you like :)

2. ronke says:

i read ur website to mk b fast ,lunch n dinner everyday

U R THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!thx 4the meal planner, u r too good. pls go into hse keeping aswell,am sure alot of pple need dat to mk their homes perfect (pple like me)

Hey Ronke! (Or is it Ron ;)

Aww, that’s amazing! Hope you’ve been finding the recipes easy to follow and are enjoying your finished product.

Housekeeping? No one else has requested that yet o, so unless there is quite a demand for it, I have to put that on the backburner for now :)

3. onyi says:

luv fruit salads but dont have the patience to dice fruits, but I’l try. pls wat if I add condense milk/honey with any type of nuts & lime or lemon juice to balance the sweetness. i hv an annoying sweet tooth.
    N.B I’l luv healthy nigerian recipes dat r delish…. Pls HELP

Hey Onyi!

Lol. Condensed milk and/or honey are already sweet and will add to the sweetness as opposed to balancing it. But since you have a sweet tooth, that might work ;) Yeah, you can add nuts and lime juice to it as well. Thanks for the suggestion, I’ll keep it in mind!